D&D 3E/3.5 Druids, bows, 3.5 and d20

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Is there any source out there that would make it easy to put a bow in the hands of a Druid?

In 3.5 they can use any weapon, but don't have proficiency.

I'm looking at this mini:
12309.jpg

http://www.i-kore.com/extcat_html/celtos/barbarian/12309.htm

It makes me think 'druid', and so I'm trying to find the best way to build it out.

Getting martial weapon profiency as a feat seems like such a waste. Quintessential Druid seemed like an obvious option, but had no variants that gave the bow in exchange for something else.

If you wanted to build a bow using Druid, how would you go about it?

Gregor

First Post
If you want, you could worship a FR God named Mielikki. Worshipping her allows Druids to use Ranger proficiencies for free.

Dont know if that helps at all, but it would save you a feat.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Unfortunately that would only work in an FR game. ;)

I'd be building this out for a Kalamar game, where I can take from d20 if I can find a balanced approach (which excludes anything FR :p ).

d4

First Post
do elves in Kalamar get bow proficiencies for free?

otherwise, i'd say just suck up the Martial WP feat.

Norfleet

First Post
I'm somewhat at a loss for some of the odd choices of druid weapon selection, which does not happen to include either the bow, or the axe, both of which are far more "natural" and "woodsy", and fit the archetype far more than the SCIMITAR....since when were druids Turkish or Arabic?

Besides, that mini clearly says "barbarian" on it. Didn't you even read the link?

Last edited:

Blue Sky

Explorer
Hmmmm. What race are you playing? Elf would give you proficiency with bows. Is multi-classing really out of the option?

Failing that, why not make your own concept, similar to QD, that would allow you to use a bow?

Or you could even ask your DM what he would want you to give up for a bow.

Elf Witch

First Post
arcady said:
Unfortunately that would only work in an FR game. ;)

I'd be building this out for a Kalamar game, where I can take from d20 if I can find a balanced approach (which excludes anything FR :p ).

I play in a Kalamar game with a player who plays a druid. She wanted to be able to use a bow so the DM allowed it. She had to give up the scmitar (makes sense it is made of metal) the arroes are tipped with flint and do bludgeoning damage as opposed to peircing. They work great gainst undead. They do the same amount of damage so it worked out just fine. It fits in flavor to since all her weapons are now made out of wood and flint.

isoChron

First Post
Why does flint do bludgeoning damage ? It pierces as well as steel.
I would rule the flint arrows break in 100% of all shots. Maybe the damage of flint arrows is 1d8-1 but that wouldn't be fair.

But it's good to have a DM who allows swapping scimitar for bow. It never really made sense to use a highly developed weapon for kavallerie in the hands of a druid.

BYE

Thanee

First Post
Norfleet said:
Besides, that mini clearly says "barbarian" on it. Didn't you even read the link?

How about nymph? :rolleyes:

Amazon would fit pretty well, that would be barbarian, too.

It must have been the sabretooth tiger besides her, which made him think "druid"! ;) :D

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads