Druids divine focus requirement?

arbados

Explorer
It says in the players handbook (page 174) that a druids default divine focus item is a sprig of mistletoe or holly. That is very well, and easily enough understood. However, recently I came across an interesting question within my group regarding how long a cut sprig of mistletoe or holly is actually useable for. In other words does the item need to be fresh? After the sprig has become dry and brittle is it still considered capable of offering its requirement for the divine focus?

If a druid goes adventuring in the underdark for a month is that sprig they came with still funtional or do they need to find a newly fresh cut sprig. What about seasons of the year. I am not exactly sure when mistletoe and holly are prevalent, but is there a time that this resource is difficult to acquire? If they do require a fresh cut sprig, how long would the newly cut sprig be considered "fresh" and capable of offering its ability as a divine focus resource until a new one must be gotten?

I am very curious as to what the consensus on this is and how you handle it in your game?

Steve Jung

Explorer
I don't think it matters in 3.x. In 1ed/2ed, there were differences in how it was gathered, but I don't remember seeing anything about freshness.

1ed Player's Handbook said:
Item Range Duration Area of Effect
Lesser Mistletoe 100% 75%* 100%
Borrowed Mistletoe 75%* 50%** 100%
Holly 75%* 50%** 75%*
Oak Leaves 50%** 50%** 50%**

* or +1 on saving throw , if any, if category is not applicable
** or +2 on saving throw, if any, if category is not applicable

Pax

Banned
Banned
First edition used to specify thatthe only time the stuff could be gathered by druids, and still "count" towards their spellcasting, was on Midsummer's Night. Period. No exceptions.

So, that would tend to imply the stuff is supposed to stay (supernaturally) fresh for a year, I guess. :)

Remove ads