Drums of War HD for iPad now available

Mummolus

First Post
It's true that it's possible to mine data from the Compendium (a la Sylioge). While Drums of War does not include a full Compendium search -- though I don't think that would be difficult to implement -- the Compendium urls imported as part of the character import process link back to the compendium and can be referenced during play. That means you don't have to go to your character sheet or open a book to get the latest rules for you character (assuming you're online; at the moment I don't cache downloaded Compendium data).

I find this feature tremendously useful in the games I play and DM.

Monsters and NPCs are all in the Compendium as well. Why not let us add them to our Encounters in DoW directly from there? That's all anybody wants - an actual export shouldn't be necessary for something so simple that would enhance functionality so much.

Dannager

First Post
The app does let you import .dnd4e files exported from the Character Builder. Currently the Character Builder is the only thing that exports these files (not the Monster Builder). If you're having difficulty importing, let me know.

The app is meant not just as something that can track your characters, though (which it can) but which can track all the elements of combat during play. Conditions, initiative order, damage, etc.

We're talking about monsters. This app's utility as a DM tool is next to nothing without the ability to pull monsters from the Compendium database.

ryarger

First Post
David,

I know the work involved in making an app, so I personally would encourage you to take all of the comments here constructively and stick with it.

That said, until you pull in monsters from the compendium and take care of the crashing issues, I'd recommend you deeply discount this app to draw in those willing to "beta test" while you apply the polish needed.

I'd drop $0.99 or even $2.99 for this on a flyer that this will eventually be a very useful tool. I won't cross the $5 line for anything that isn't rock solid.

Be good to your early adopters and they'll be good to you. There are millions more fish in the sea that will pay the $8 once we're all raving about how great this is.

mort655

Explorer
Importing Monsters

Would it be possible to import .monster files that the non-online adventure tools export?

I think there are also some 3rd party monster builder programs that also export the same format.

Septimus

First Post
Good point. I totally agree: the crashing is unacceptable. Turns out the crash most people were running into was an old bug that could occur in the iPhone-only version. I've fixed that crash bug, another one, and some additional non-crash bugs. New versions of both the regular and HD apps were submitted to Apple and I'm just waiting on the review process.

As for monster import...I understand people want that ability, so I spent a good amount of time (10 hrs. or so) working on it last weekend. The issue is that wizards doesn't standardize the data coming out of the compendium, so the parsing code is a little tricky. But, that said, it's almost there and I hope to release an update soon with that functionality.

I don't think I want to parse the .monster files from the old builder simply because it's no longer a supported tool that current DDI subscribers have access to.

Thanks for all the critical feedback, everyone. Updates are coming ASAP.

Septimus

First Post
Drums of War 1.1, patched, in App Store

Just wanted to send a notice to everyone: a patched version of Drums of War HD is should now be in the App Store. Hopefully this will fix any crashing issues you've encountered as well as several other non-crash bugs.

I haven't gotten word from Apple that the iPhone-only version is in review yet, but hopefully that'll happen soon and it'll be approved quickly.

Thanks again for your patience!

Ketjak

Malicious GM
I'm not seeing the crash, but I *am* eagerly awaiting monster imports. Building an encounter is a useless feature without the ability to import - or even reference - monsters, since I don't use PCs as opponents for my PCs.

Siberys

Adventurer
I just got this and I think it's great. There's only one thing I'd suggest;

The ability to mark attributes as 'do not display' for characters. I don't always need to see feats or power points or whatever. If I could turn all of the various displays on or off on a per-character basis, it would really add to the usability of the program for me.

FWIW, if that happens, I'll primarily be using that functionality for monsters. during combat, I usually only need a way to track HP/THP, conditions, and power usage. I'll have the statblock handy for everything else.

Siberys

Adventurer
I've been using this app for a bit, and I really like it, but I'd like a few things to change. These changes would knock this from "pretty, but not particularly useful" straight up to "won't run without", at least for me.

Character Interface
1) Fields should all start out empty. Empty fields should not be visible except when editing. For example, if my character has no PP, I shouldn't see the PP note in the combat pane. If I have no Strength score entered, I don't wanna see it. Et cetera.

2) Monsters should be organized differently than PCs, perhaps in a manner that emulates the MM3 monster setup. Also, in powers there should be a recharge option, instead of only AED.

These changes would clean up the viewing interface. I've been using this in conjunction with printed monsters, and all I have on the app are stats that change - HP and encounter, daily, or recharge powers. All that other stuff just gets in the way, though there should be a way to include it if I want it.

Encounters
1) There needs to be a way to use a single monster multiple times, preferably with a number automatically appended to each of that monster's names. As-is, to use mulyiples of anything, I have to manually create each one. (EDIT: Just realized this is how it works. Damn.)

2) I'd like a means to set the initiative without rolling. Perhaps the creatures should be movable like in the initiative pane?

Combat
1) A creature should be automatically bloodied if its hp is set to equal or lower than its bloodied value.

2) I think the tracking and info views should be combined - use the tracking view, but allow creatures to be viewed as in the info view. Switching between them just seems like an unnecessary button-push.

3) Maybe I'm missing something, but there doesn't seem to be a way to close a combat beside shutting down the app or opening a different one. That should be changed.

Anyways, I just think these will up the utility of this app a ton.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, and it'd be nice if defenses and abilties were organized as in 4e materials; defenses have always been AC/F/R/W, but in the App it's all jumbled. Abilities are listed in the 3e order, too, but in 4e they're usually listed either with the Con and Dex position swapped, or SDW (linebreak) CIH, such that there are three columns of scores matched up by defense pairs. It's a minor complaint, but it's a little annoying when entering data. :/

Last edited:

Remove ads