D&D 5E Dual hand crossbows, poison and hex warlock

CapnZapp

Legend
You can? I'd genuinely like to see it. I have hand crossbows, and I can't load one while holding something else in my other hand, let alone another crossbow. Those things are 80lb draw weights.

The crossbows in D&D has nothing in common with reality. Any comment like "80lb draw weight" clearly talks about something entirely different than the hand crossbow in D&D which a high level fighter can fire nine (9) times in six seconds.

And even a complete newbie can fire a heavy crossbow once per six seconds.

Sent from my C6603 using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
Are we really having this debate AGAIN? It's pretty settled, I think, that RAW let's you load the hand crossbows how you like but that some tables - for whatever reason - can't fathom the idea and therefore don't allow it. There are dozens of debates on this issue and very little if anything to add to it.

So tl;dr RAW yes, but for some, invisibility is ok but loading a crossbow heroically it too far fetched.
Not sure what you mean. Per RAW the only way to utilize Crossbow Expert the way the rules text says you can (=getting off a bonus attack shot every round) is if you use a hand crossbow and nothing else.

Every other weapons configuration falls foul of one restriction or another. You still CAN do scimitar + hand crossbow or twin hand crossbows, but after the first round you have no way of reloading unless you're okay with the visual imagery "sheathe scimitar, reload crossbow, draw scimitar"; rinse and repeat.

To me that visual imagery makes me sick to my stomach and I'll avoid it at all costs. YMMV

CapnZapp

Legend
"Crossbow Expert does allow a character to shoot a hand crossbow as an action and again as a bonus action." Jeremy Crawford @JeremyECrawford October 21, 2014"
Crossbow Expert DOES allow you to do exactly that.

You just need to do both the main attack and the bonus attack with one and the SAME hand crossbow

(if you want to consistently do this round after round without getting any "which hand loads what" issues, that is)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The crossbows in D&D has nothing in common with reality. Any comment like "80lb draw weight" clearly talks about something entirely different than the hand crossbow in D&D which a high level fighter can fire nine (9) times in six seconds.

I agree that it shoots too fast but how do you get 9?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using EN World mobile app

Sacrosanct

Legend

And my post wasn't actually a comment on the implementation of crossbows. It was only meant to argue against using reality to win arguments in a D&D discussion...

If you're gonna quote me from two and a half years ago, at least have the integrity to not delete the part of my quote in the same post that directly addressed your comments about not using reality to win arguments in D&D:

That's what I tried to tell my DM when I said my 2nd level fighter ran up the wall and ceiling to get around the hobgoblin. He didn't buy it.

"Use the rules, don't let the rules use you."

Because I find it pretty intellectually dishonest to quote me and yet delete the part of my comment that directly shows how what you responded with is flawed. Reality IS important in D&D, because we all use it as a baseline for our assumptions for literally everything that doesn't have an explicit rule that explains otherwise.

Don't you EVER accuse anyone else of cherry picking quotes again. Ever. This is pretty freaking blatant of not only cherry picking, but intentionally deleting the part that actually counters what you're trying to argue when quoting me.

Remove ads