• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Duergar Article

Zaran

Adventurer
So I went through the Duergar Article just now. It has alot of detail with a few extra Duergar and alot of background info... Something I would expect and want for my DDI subscription. So I have to ask why was this free? And why can't we get such detail in the DDI articles?

lyon812

First Post
Maybe they realize it's a good marketing practice to put quality articles in a place where they lure people into a subscription.

gyor

Legend
It may not be listed as subscription but it is. According to Wizard boards they tried it and you have to login to ddi.

moxcamel

Explorer
Logged out of DDI, I was able to pull the article down.

Disregard, I am dumb. Yep, it's DDI-only. :eek:

Last edited:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
No amount of fluff will save the whole "my beard is a porcupine" issue at the heart of 4e duergar.

I guess the article's great if you need some more underdark devil-tinged raiders? I gots plenty (that don't have beard quills), thanks. :p

Seemed like a decent little article with some useful stuff in it if you happen to be hankering for a helping of duergar. Now, lets see some articles like this for some of the less fringe races too! I know we got Orcs, Zombies, Gnolls, and Kobolds early on, but there's a lot of cool races left to do. Goblins? Giants? Lizard Folk? Yeah, this column could show up more often.

Zaran

Adventurer
No amount of fluff will save the whole "my beard is a porcupine" issue at the heart of 4e duergar.

I guess the article's great if you need some more underdark devil-tinged raiders? I gots plenty (that don't have beard quills), thanks. :p

Yeah, if I used that info that's the first thing I would change. Duergar in my game were first generation dwarves corrupted by tainted mithral mining. I gave basically changed the quils into a hellfire attack.

keterys

First Post
The whole beard quills thing is odd, but I assumed it was because they were creating a greater connection to "bearded devils", which have been around for quite some time and all that.

Ie, the whole duergar <-> durzagon <-> barbazu circle of "life".

Dire Bare

Legend
The whole beard quills thing is odd, but I assumed it was because they were creating a greater connection to "bearded devils", which have been around for quite some time and all that.

Ie, the whole duergar <-> durzagon <-> barbazu circle of "life".

Actually, there was a fiendish dwarf creature in 3E, whose name I can't remember, that got "merged" with the duergar concept for 4E. That's where all the fiendishness and beard quills came from.

Not everybody appreciated the change to a classic D&D creature, but I dig it.

Edit: Of course, immediately after posting, I see that you knew that and even named the creature . . . durzagon. I'm tired.

NexH

First Post
I liked the article. It provided good information for creating duergar-based adventures or adventures sites, a deeper look into their society, and some guidelines for imaging an appropiate feeling for encounters with them at different levels.

I hope to see more "creature incarnations" like this in the future.

Remove ads