Duergar have Quills

Yes, it's different than the flavor of previous editions. Why is that such a bad thing?
I don't know about others, but I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just saying I prefer older duergar over new ones (and was confused where the change was inspired from until someone mentioned durzagon). Personally, I thought the parallel of duergar to dwarves as drow to elves was useful and interesting. I don't mind similarities because then it can make playing with the subtle differences stand out. Besides that, it's just a matter of taste and liking how they have been portrayed all of my gaming experience. :)

Riley

Legend
I recently used reskinned Duergar from Thunderspire Labyrinth as a breed of Draconians. The Draconians occasionally pulled spines out of their crests/back ridges and hurled them at the PC's. It went over far better than the old 'turn to stone when they die' schtick ever did.

I expect that pulling poison quills out of a Duergar's beard would be equally well-received.

Of course, that description begs the question: Do female Duergar have beards?

alleynbard

First Post
I recently used reskinned Duergar from Thunderspire Labyrinth as a breed of Draconians. The Draconians occasionally pulled spines out of their crests/back ridges and hurled them at the PC's. It went over far better than the old 'turn to stone when they die' schtick ever did.

I expect that pulling poison quills out of a Duergar's beard would be equally well-received.

Of course, that description begs the question: Do female Duergar have beards?

Images of duergar females show quills in the hair.

alleynbard

First Post
I didn't realize that there was a such an issue with beard quills.

It freaked my players out when the first duergar they met pulled the quills from their beards and threw them. Made them seem inhuman and alien. Of course, this was the first time I have ever used a duergar in game, so they didn't know the difference.

Riley

Legend
Of course, this was the first time I have ever used a duergar in game, so they didn't know the difference.

Yeah; I've never really used them before, either. I even took them out of Forge of Fury because I just didn't care for/about them.

I'm looking to run Forge of Fury again soon, and I'll be leaving the Duergar in this time.

alleynbard

First Post
Yeah; I've never really used them before, either. I even took them out of Forge of Fury because I just didn't care for/about them.

I'm looking to run Forge of Fury again soon, and I'll be leaving the Duergar in this time.

You know, I was going to do the same thing. I really want to convert Forge of Fury as my dwarf player has some very interesting hooks that could dovetail nicely with that adventure. Like you, I removed the duergar the first time I ran it and I think they could be a really interesting story point this time through.

Previously, I never had much use for yet another Underdark race with black skin, but the changes to the duergar really grabbed my attention. In my current homebrew they are the real threat in the Underdark, usurping the drow's position of dominance. If a person mentions the drow while visiting Thunderspire most of the residents won't really react. Mention the duergar and they start foaming at the mouth. While running H2 I have made it a point to change the Grimmerzhul from being publicly visible traders to a group of duergar masquerading as bog standard dwarves to act as spies in the Seven Pillared Hall.

I personally wish the drow had seen some of the same alterations that the duergar did. But I imagine that kind of change would have gone too far.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Those poisoned quills certainly took my guys by surprise! Duergar (slightly re-tooled for my campaign) are featuring heavily at the moment.

Remove ads