D&D 5E Dumb VTT quastions

Ok, let me start with my background:
Me dumb as rock, no understand cum-pot-er!

So my nephew has a dozen variant mine craft like games some on my or my sisters phone
some on my bro inlaws ipad, and one on each of our nooks and computers.

From what i understand it is rather open to use, and creates a whole world that you can buikd in
and invite friends into your world to adventure. It also has something called skins that look to me
to be basic changes to your charactef look.

Could something like that with a simple die roller be the On line gameing table we have been looking for?

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
In my opinion too much work to set up the world and no way for the DM to operate. There are lot of VTTs out there that look a lot prettier and are easier to use. Event though in my opinion they automate too much. I like Roll20 it is pretty minimalist, though some better drawing tools would be nice.

HeroForge

First Post
In my opinion too much work to set up the world and no way for the DM to operate. There are lot of VTTs out there that look a lot prettier and are easier to use. Event though in my opinion they automate too much. I like Roll20 it is pretty minimalist, though some better drawing tools would be nice.

Yep. I have seen people try to use all kinds of tools (even one DM try to run encounters on a screen in Google Sketchup!) but I wouldn't have considered minecraft!

My favorite VTT is almost certainly MapTool. I especially like the free download snap-together-tiles from Torstan--makes setting up a small dungeon pretty quick and easy. It doesn't automate anything unless you're code-savvy and then can set up the macros yourself. Though there are lots of easy, free campaign files you can download and just plug stuff in, too.

It is easier than trying to skype a player in from long distance, anyway!

Hussar

Legend
Y'know, it's now to the point where I would use VTT's at a face to face game as well. It's just too convenient. No more bothering with mapping or the cat pouncing on the minis. Two laptops and you're good to go.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Y'know, it's now to the point where I would use VTT's at a face to face game as well. It's just too convenient. No more bothering with mapping or the cat pouncing on the minis. Two laptops and you're good to go.
We now use roll20 for every game. It started because one of the players moved away, but it has made DMing so much easier. I can preload quality maps and tokens. I'm no longer buggering about looking for a roughly equivalent mini and placing zones and effects is easier. I use my tablet and DM minion for initiative and round by round tracking though as it is much better.

It works best if you have one laptop plugged into a big HDTV where everyone can see it and have that linked with a Bluetooth mouse which gets passed around to whoever's turn it is. I have my own laptop for DMing as well as my tablet for combat tracking.

Remove ads