• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dune 2d20 - Our campaign

Mezuka

Hero
Our campaign started in November. We play every other week for three hours. I'm a player.

The PCs are members of a minor house. Their goal is to dominate (absorb or destroy) the other minor houses of the planet and eventually dethrone the planet's major house. The game uses two phases. During the strategic phase, PCs decide which actions they will take to advance their house. After that comes the tactical phase. The players either use their PCs or send NPC*s to do the job.

For example, during our last game, we sent a group of NPC infiltrators to disrupt the production of a plant owned by a rival minor house. Our goals were twofold. Stir unrest among the workers. It went so well they wanted to unionize by the end of the session. The second goal was to infiltrate the plant and cause maximum damage. We installed a few bombs which destroyed machinery and inventory. As I final touch, my NPC character left a torn piece of fabric with the logo of another (third) house to implicate them.

(*You can use character templates to create NPCs very quickly.)

I never understood the other iterations of the 2d20 system but for some reason, I was able to understand this one very quickly. We are playing our fifth game tonight.

Mezuka

Hero
Our Dune campaign is going very well.

After several sessions, we managed to destabilize the rival minor house. Their ruler was killed by our ruler during a planetary council with the major house present. Since our guy won the single combat we were allowed to poach the minor house's resources and assets. This Friday we did an abstract Warfare phase. During that time, using rolls, we conquered an industrial plant, a military outpost and we secured farmlands but decided to let a very small minor house, specializing in agriculture, handle the day-to-day business for us.

Mezuka

Hero
I'm really enjoying this campaign.

The Warfare phase was very interesting. Since I'm the one responsible for the security and the troops I did most of the die rolls. We also had units of infiltrator spies, troops transports moving from our assets to the battlefield. The other three players did these dice rolls to see the outcomes. The battle for the three assets (factory, military base and farmlands) lasted 90 minutes. Our dice rolls were opposed by the GM which gave us a real sense of challenge.

We are playing within a time frame of 2 years. We know the contract of the Major house will be over in 2 years. The idea is to position our minor house in such a way that the powers that be select us to become the next rulers of the planet. At the same time, we have to tread carefully. We don't want to become too powerful and attract the wrath of the Major house.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
Sounds very cool. Look forward to seeing more.

How many players are there? I have Dune and I’m curious whether a smaller group (say 2-3) is better than 3-5?

Mezuka

Hero
Sounds very cool. Look forward to seeing more.

How many players are there? I have Dune and I’m curious whether a smaller group (say 2-3) is better than 3-5?
4 players.

From my experience you can handle smaller numbers because the PCs aren't always directly into the action. They delegate NPCs on missions.

Last edited:

Mezuka

Hero
We didn't play last night. Our story line on conquering other minor houses to get their ressources felt to close to reality (Ukraine). We still did a vtt session and talked about our favorite tv shows and games for 3 hours.

Mezuka

Hero
We played a game last Friday. It was mostly political intrigue. We twarted a plot against an industrial plant of the major house of the planet. We then convinced the major house to deputize us to find the origin of the plot among the other minors houses. We had to agree to have a political attache to prevent us from abusing our power.

aramis erak

Legend
I ran a group of 6 players; it doesn't break down when several are absent, but with more, conflicts of all types except duels take longer.

Remove ads