Dungeon #129

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Another quick question: oculus demons have a special quality (in their SQ line in their stat block) that's listed "negative energy affinity", but there's no explanation for what that is! Any word on that?

Garnfellow

Explorer
I have got to admit, though "A Gathering of Winds" looks like a fun adventure, I was rather disappointed with Wolfgang's 3e statting of true ghouls. He seemed to veer pretty hard away from his 2e version of "Kingdom of the Ghouls."

For my money, the "gravetouched ghoul" template from Libris Mortis comes a lot closer to capturing the original feel of true ghouls. (And maybe Wolfgang intentionally went off in a new direction in order to avoid any redundancies with this template.)

I suspect the best way to get back to the 2e vision of true ghouls would be to use the gravetouched ghoul template PLUS a new prestige class, something like "Scion of the White Kingdom" to capture some of the neat, missing abilities of 2e true ghouls. I bet a nice 4 or 5 level prestige class would do the trick.

wedgeski

Adventurer
Very strong issue I thought. The Age of Worms installment is beautiful in its simplicity, and highly portable. I've skimmed the other modules and like what I see, and Monte's article is practical as ever. Good show!

Arnwyn

First Post
Garnfellow said:
I suspect the best way to get back to the 2e vision of true ghouls would be to use the gravetouched ghoul template PLUS a new prestige class, something like "Scion of the White Kingdom" to capture some of the neat, missing abilities of 2e true ghouls. I bet a nice 4 or 5 level prestige class would do the trick.
To be perfectly honest, I found Eric Noah's true ghoul template to be the best conversion of the 2e "Kingdom of the Ghouls" true ghoul I've seen. It's the one I used when I converted that adventure to 3.5.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Arnwyn said:
To be perfectly honest, I found Eric Noah's true ghoul template to be the best conversion of the 2e "Kingdom of the Ghouls" true ghoul I've seen. It's the one I used when I converted that adventure to 3.5.

Do you know where someone could find that? Color me curious.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
*wonders if Al wouldn't mind giving out spoilage about the Ana-Malar, the Chosen of Malar Template and of course more details about Murder in Oakridge*

Like if say the Lords of Dust are involved...?

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Nightfall said:
*wonders if Al wouldn't mind giving out spoilage about the Ana-Malar, the Chosen of Malar Template and of course more details about Murder in Oakridge*

Like if say the Lords of Dust are involved...?

The Lords of Dust aren't at all involved in Murder in Oakridge; it's just a low-level adventure. What did you want to know about Anth-Malar et al?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Okay then explain/spoil the adventure for me. I'd like a summary of it.

The Ana-malar? Everything! I want complete stat blocks! :) Same with the template!

*still thinks a Talon of Khyber would be cool considering the epic-ness of some of the Rajahs and their followers/associates*

Arnwyn

First Post
Garnfellow said:
Do you know where someone could find that? Color me curious.
To be honest, I can't seem to find it... and now I'm not sure if was Eric Noah that did it.

Oops. My mistake! :heh:

I'll have to check out my paper records to see who really did it. Whoever it was, the template was the best (and closest to the original 2e creature) that I've seen.

Remove ads