• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon 154 - Night of the Straw Men

Shroomy

Adventurer
The first adventure of the last 3.5e Dungeon was released today. It's a Side Trek for 1st level characers called "Night of the Straw Men"

Each year in the village of Steeplefall, the villagers celebrate the Day of the Straw Men. A villager must merely whisper his or her sins to the small effigy, then burn it in a massive fire at the town square to be scoured clean.

But someone has an ulterior motive at this year's burning. After the PCs have had a chance to enjoy the festivities, at the evening's bonfire, a dark power strikes. Can the characters save the festival and the innocent townsfolk in attendance? Even if they do, who or what was behind the attack?

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/duad/20080507

Its kind of cool [sblock]that the adventure features the scarecrow converted by Shade and Boz for Dragon; I remember when they were working on it over on the General Monster board.[/sblock]

GlassJaw

Hero
I agree, cool little scenario. Would probably make for a good kick-off to a campaign, since it introduces a small town and some potentially recurring NPC's. I think it would be fun to play up the holiday and beliefs of the townsfolk, perhaps they are very superstitious overall. Would make for some interesting role-playing opportunities, especially if the PC's are the more pragmatic and level-headed sort.

Demmero

Explorer
@Shroomy: Thanks for getting the word out (I wrote "NotSM"). With Boz and Shade responsible for the Dragon magazine conversion of the boss monster--and with you having your own adventure due out soon--the final 3.5 issue of Dungeon's got a neat ENWorld vibe to it :)

@GlassJaw: Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the Side Trek.

@Anyone Who Cares: I'm really glad that online Dungeon accepted a submission that depended so heavily upon a monster that appeared in a print version of Dragon magazine. It's nice to get a bit of continuity--however small--between the print and online versions of the magazines. I was pretty bitter when the magazines' print runs were ended...and I'd still greatly prefer a print version to an online one. Still, any version of the mags is infinitely better than having no version of them at all. I hope the 4E versions hit the ground running and really take off.

Prince Atom

Explorer
I must admit, when I first read the title, I thought it would be about an Internet flame war.

But it sounds fun. It sounds kind of like something I'd come up with, a creepy plot with everyday objects and things becoming a threat.

I let my Dragon subscription lapse a long time ago, when it looked like I wouldn't be playing D&D anymore. I've regretted that for some time now.

TWK

Shroomy

Adventurer
Demmero said:
@Shroomy: Thanks for getting the word out (I wrote "NotSM"). With Boz and Shade responsible for the Dragon magazine conversion of the boss monster--and with you having your own adventure due out soon--the final 3.5 issue of Dungeon's got a neat ENWorld vibe to it :)

@GlassJaw: Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the Side Trek.

@Anyone Who Cares: I'm really glad that online Dungeon accepted a submission that depended so heavily upon a monster that appeared in a print version of Dragon magazine. It's nice to get a bit of continuity--however small--between the print and online versions of the magazines. I was pretty bitter when the magazines' print runs were ended...and I'd still greatly prefer a print version to an online one. Still, any version of the mags is infinitely better than having no version of them at all. I hope the 4E versions hit the ground running and really take off.

Interestingly enough, my adventure also includes some content from Dragon (unless, it was changed in editing, but I doubt it).

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
There is also another new adventure up as well. It is called City of Blood and is for the Eberron campaign setting.

Rechan

Adventurer
I really like the little side-trek. Very nice.

Also, love the "whisper your sins into the straw doll and toss it in". That's some awesome bit of ritual right there.

Remove ads