Dungeon 188 - Baelard's Legacy

Shroomy

Adventurer
The last article of the month, the paragon tier adventure "Baelard's Legacy" is now up here. I haven't read it yet, but the thing I did notice, it doesn't use the delve format at all. All the maps and stat blocks are at the end of the adventure! Very interesting.

Aegeri

First Post
Oh wow, I totally didn't even catch that at first (my eyes tend to glaze over upon seeing dungeon tiles) but I did notice the PDF I downloaded was 600ish KB. On the main page it said it was around 800kb. Is it actually incomplete or have they changed the format?

Aegeri

First Post
Ohhh it's not a mistake:

Huscarl said:
It's not missing anything; looks like in our haste to get the page deployed, the PDF size didn't get updated.

There aren't supposed to be any encounters at the end. The encounters happen as characters explore the dungeon, in whatever manner the DM thinks is most appropriate.

Steve

New direction or testing the waters?

Mentat55

First Post
None of the encounters in the adventure are set -- instead, each section suggests how to set up and run encounters, using the monsters provided at the end of the adventure. A marked departure from every encounter being set up.

Reading it makes the dungeon feel more dynamic. I think at least one or two of the encounters could have been set up, but this is a new approach (for a 4E adventure) and it is refreshing.

Aegeri

First Post
You are making me want to see it.
On reading it again, it's actually a really decent adventure and one of the first maps that uses Dungeon tiles that seems coherently designed (as opposed to looking like it was thrown together in 2 minutes while bored).

Zaran

Adventurer
I thought the monsters provided were light. And didn't see where they were suggested in certain locations. To be honest I don't want to have to do alot of work when I'm using a module. It looks to me I have to come up with a major quest, Magic items ,and monster placement. I love the fact that the monster locations aren't locked down especially when i use the maps online (its a pain to edit out white monster circles) but at the same time this is almost an adventure hook and we are told to do the rest.

I guess I shouldn't whine. I can see they are trying new things. Just seems like they were half done and left us to finish it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases