Dungeon 197 - Creature Incarnations - Hordelings

Incenjucar

Legend
Huh. I figured that the image with lots of different fiends from the Vile Darkness book gallery was hordelings. Still, nice to see them back. That was one of the most interesting monster entries in Planescape just for coming up with ideas for specific monsters.

Shroomy

Adventurer
Huh. I figured that the image with lots of different fiends from the Vile Darkness book gallery was hordelings. Still, nice to see them back. That was one of the most interesting monster entries in Planescape just for coming up with ideas for specific monsters.

They are. In the 4e BoVD, hordelings are swarms of tiny, random demons. The greater hordelings in my article are of course based on the classic version, but they are grown up verisons of the ones in the BoVD.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Quite cool! I'm guessing the BoVD "normal" hordelings are a lot more homogenous, and if so, these bad boys are going to be my campaign's true hordelings! :)

Shroomy

Adventurer
Quite cool! I'm guessing the BoVD "normal" hordelings are a lot more homogenous, and if so, these bad boys are going to be my campaign's true hordelings! :)

Statistically, they are (however they do have some cool mechanics) but they all look different from each other. Here is the artwork from the BoVD for the hordelings.

Klaus

First Post
My latest article is up here. Get your dice out and revel in the many, many randomized tables. This article was a labor of love; when I was a kid, I rolled up many types of hordelings using the tables in the 1e MM2.
Behold, it is awesome!

This takes me back to the 2e Monstrous Compendium! I loved rolling in those tables!

Now I want a hordeling statblock generator!

Tazawa

Adventurer
My hordeling is a small skirmisher with a wrinkled spherical head and a feathered, slug-like lower body. It has a single glowing yellow eye on a stalk. Its three-beaked mouth crackles with electric energy and its four stubby arms ends in fiery claws. Although small and legless, it moves with surprising speed, ambushing its prey from the walls and ceilings of the abyss.

Remove ads