• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Design: Outdoors

svwilson

First Post
The writer’s guidelines for Dungeon magazine describe a “dungeon” as any self-contained environment where the parameters are clearly defined for the players – “They can’t go beyond the walls or into rooms that aren’t’ there”. This includes (as they say) castles, ruins, or anything that has “rooms” connected by “halls”.

But can I set a “dungeon” in an open area? Especially if more than one of the PCs has some sort of flight? The spellcasters can get fly as soon as 5th level, and if more than one of them has the spell (or alter self or some sort of magic item), they usually find a way to ferry everyone else around rather than hike.

For instance, I want to try a setting that’s a network of mountain trails. I figured that the high rock walls on both sides of the paths would restrict the PCs’ movement. (That’s why they build paths: its easier to go that way than to climb over the mountain.) Besides the PCs who just fly up and go directly to the final encounter, there’s always a PC who has a +73 to his Climb check and will insist on trying.

What if I want to have the PCs chase villains around a forest? I can put in trails and clearings to take the place of corridors and rooms, but the heroes can hack directly through the underbrush if they want. Or fly.

What about in a desert, or on the sea floor? I can make “rooms” – that is, an outcrop of rock, an oasis, a sunken ship, a small cave – but they’re still separated by open space instead of corridors.

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

Artoomis

First Post
Here are a few limiting factors to take into account that would allow you sort of "dungeon."

1. Climbing and hacking though underbrush are slow form a movement. Not something normally done except when truly needed.

2. Fly has a limited duration unless someone is flying naturally (with wings). Not something to be done all day long.

3. Forest canopy is a great limiter. Can't fly over it (no visibility to the ground) and flying in it can be very dangerous (monstrous spider webs, etc.)

4. Mountain/forest paths exist for more reasons than thay are the easiest terrain - they also avoid the worst hazards. "Stay on the path, boy, or get eaten alive by the..."

5. Sometimes the path itself is magic. Stay on the path or lose your memory in the Mountains of Forgetfullness.

6. Dragons fly. Puny humans on the ground might not even get their attention, but in the air....?

etc., etc.

A little imaginataion can go a long way here.

Last edited:

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
svwilson said:

Any thoughts on how to approach this?

Artoomis has some great suggestions. Here are a few more:

1. Weather. A boiling lightning storm complete with gale-force winds will keep your Fly-capable mages on the ground.

2. Terrain. Remember the Dead Marshes from Return of the King? Step off the path = drown in ghost-ridden quicksand. Fly = spotted and destroyed by hideous winged death beast.

3. Catastrophe. A forest fire effectively limits safe paths. Maybe ancient elven magic protects forest paths from the heat and flame, but only for a short time...

4. Stealth. Make the characters fugitives, hunted by much more powerful pursuers. If they fly they'll be spotted (the pursuers can See Invisible). If they hack through the undergrowth they'll be slowed down and leave a very clear trail.

Those are just a few.

-z

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads