D&D 5E Dungeon Exploration for Experience points?

iserith

Magic Wordsmith
Yes, but ultimately I found it to be somewhat harder to fairly track. It also incentives movement through the dungeon, not necessarily engaging with the environment which is really what one wants. To that end, I prefer to reward exploration with treasure, generally speaking e.g. hidden caches or other rewards. Players will poke around a lot more if they know that's where the gold and magic items are.

I also sometimes offer payment in gold if the PCs map the dungeon and then sell their source map. Essentially they engage in a task of drawing a map while moving through the dungeon at the risk of being automatically surprised (since they aren't keeping watch for dangers). They also must have the cartographer's tools proficiency, the appropriate supplies, and both hands free (no shield, weapon, etc.).

I give out xp for making discoveries rather than just for exploration. Things like finding a hidden passage, figuring out how the magic contraption works, deciphering the hieroglyphics, etc. I think this encourages PCs to interact with the environment, where xp for exploration just encourages them to cover as much ground as possible in the least amount of time.

pming

Legend
Hiya!
Inspired by this: D&D General - Tell Me About Your Dungeon Centric Campaigns
I would've responded in that thread, but the OP was looking for anecdotes only.

Has anyone ever attached experience points to dungeon exploration? e.g. The party covers X amount of area in a dungeon and gets Y amount of experience points.
No...but then again, I only give 1/4 to 1/2 XP for defeating monsters, but I give between 1:5 and 1:1 per XP:GP 'attained'.

This encourages exploration and focuses on the goal of "getting the goodies" over "kill everything that moves". The more rooms and the deeper in/down in the dungeon you get, the more treasure you can acquire, the more XP you get.

Simple and elegant. This is one thing that the original D&D got right from the get go....but has somehow gotten tossed to the wayside over the 'new edition improvements'. Pffft! You want XP? Get that Gold! ;)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Shiroiken

Legend
Has anyone ever attached experience points to dungeon exploration? e.g. The party covers X amount of area in a dungeon and gets Y amount of experience points.
I do something like this currently, since I hate the fact that xp is focused almost solely upon the combat pillar. I wouldn't do xp per area, just like I wouldn't do xp for gp like AD&D, since it just doesn't translate as well. What I've done is I broken xp into four categories: monster experience (MXP), exploration experience (EXP), social experience (SXP), and the occasional quest experience (QXP). The amount of xp for the adventure doesn't change, so it shifts the focus away from combat towards the other two pillars.

Combat has been the primary source of xp for a long time. In 1E, players got way more experience for treasure, so combat was avoided whenever possible, since the risk/reward ratio was bad. Non-combat xp was still significant in 2E, but by 3E it was largely negligible. To cover the xp given out to the rest of the pillars, combat only provides half the normal xp value, making direct combat less desirable.

Exploration encounters are fun, and really a core aspect of the original game. Every trick, trap, and noteworthy check in the adventure is given an EXP value, largely based on difficulty. Tricks, such as secret doors and misdirection, should be rewarded for overcoming, but they usually have the lowest amount of EXP since they're not really problematic. Traps have an EXP value based on difficulty to notice and counter, as well as the impact of the effect, as either defeating or enduring the trap awards EXP. Puzzle and other notable checks aren't common, but they usually have a good amount of EXP attached, rewarding the players for succeeding against them.

Social encounters are tricky, and I try very hard not to have any be required to complete an adventure. I try to place NPCs that can specifically provide assistance with a successful social encounter, and they provide SXP if convinced. If players manage to convince NPCs not specifically related to the adventure into aiding them, I look to see if there's a similar social encounter this would eliminate to give the SXP. If players negotiate their way past enemies, the MXP becomes SXP.

Quest experience isn't used very often, usually just to encourage the players to follow through on an adventure. Some adventures can be bailed on with little cost/penalty, and when this happens I put a good chunk of the adventure's xp into QXP they only get upon fully completing the task. It doesn't come up often, but it's much more frequent during side quests of the main campaign.

aco175

Legend
I agree with @iserith in that I reward exploration with cool secret places and hidden treasure. There may be a secret temple nobody currently found containing a place to rest or even a magic pool that heals or boosts magic items. I would not want to grant XP on top of this.

The other thing you can do with XP is to grant bonus XP for each area or themed area cleaned out. Say you have a forge area with several room and a boss monster separated from a hatchery with its own boss monster. These each can grant a bonus for clearing out as opposed to each room.

Remove ads