Dungeon Level = Monster Level?

Lhorgrim

Explorer
So I've been putting together a B/X campaign for my son, and I re-discovered the advice that dungeon level and monster level(hit dice) should usually correspond.

I was just wondering how closely you follow that advice in your present day game, and if you or your DM followed it back in the olden days?

I had forgotten about it, but re-reading the rules reminded me that we did follow the level recommendations pretty closely. We switched over to AD&D after a short while, so we never ran into an issue of 12th level basic characters having to wade through 10 or 11 levels of a dungeon complex to get to a challenge.;)

I don't think I've ever been in a campaign like that, beyond Angband (a video game). Dungeons tend to be organized by monster type, IME, and maybe the hobgoblin section is mainly 1 HD, but there's some bosses up to 4 HD in there.

Then again, I've never been in a really long dungeon crawl.

Celebrim

Legend
Monster level and HD don't always correspond perfectly. I don't remember how BD&D did it, but AD&D had much the same advice but the monster entries also included their monster level as a separate row from their HD. Marids for instance had 13 HD, but were 'only' monster level VIII. Vargouille have but a single HD, but are monster level III. I imagine in BD&D you added HD to the number of '*'s indicating special abilities to determine level.

I've never done this exactly, but I did run an open dungeon crawl for a local gaming store for a while and after a time adopted the classical Gygaxian megadungeon as the most practical for a weekly format not involving a narrative of any sort. Even at a young age though, my sensibilities weren't very gamist.

Still, the megadungeon is an interesting exercise in creativity in its own right and easy to run.

frogimus

First Post
Monster level and HD don't always correspond perfectly. I don't remember how BD&D did it, but AD&D had much the same advice but the monster entries also included their monster level as a separate row from their HD. Marids for instance had 13 HD, but were 'only' monster level VIII. Vargouille have but a single HD, but are monster level III. I imagine in BD&D you added HD to the number of '*'s indicating special abilities to determine level.

No "monster level" in B/X. An example stat is
"Shrieker"
Armor Class:7.....................No Appearing: 1-8(0)
Hit Dice:3.............................Save As: Fighter 1

Then move, morale, attack, damage, treasure type, alignment

Celebrim

Legend
No "monster level" in B/X. An example stat is
"Shrieker"
Armor Class:7.....................No Appearing: 1-8(0)
Hit Dice:3.............................Save As: Fighter 1

Then move, morale, attack, damage, treasure type, alignment

If I recall my B/X correctly, somewhere in the description of the monster there will be for certain creatures, one more more '*'s appended to the HD or some where else (it's been ages since I looked at a BECMI book). Those indicate special abilities that make the monster unusually dangerous and they mean you also get more XP for slaying one. The Shrieker wouldn't have any.

frogimus

First Post
Yeah, the Shrieker may have been a poor example. In B/X the asterisk is a special abilities bonus for XP, but the book doesn't give any directive to change the monster level based on that. It does say they can be found 2 levels higher or lower than their HD, but the DM should adjust the quantity.

This may have changed a bit between B/X and BECMI.

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Page B29 of my Moldvay book says "Hit Dice are also the level of the monster and the dungeon level on which it is most commonly found. In general a monster's level equals its number of hit dice, ignoring any pluses or minuses."

It goes on to say that "if a monster has several special powers, the DM may consider it one level greater than its hit dice."

Also that Monster level is only a guide and they may be found anywhere in a dungeon. It then lists suggestions about keeping them within two levels of their hit dice and adjusting number appearing.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I re-discovered the advice that dungeon level and monster level(hit dice) should usually correspond.
I wouldn't call this "advice" so much as "playstyle." Because, well, advice is for taking a better course of action, right? I'm not sure that meaner monsters, as you get further below ground level, is a better course for dungeon design.

Come to think of it, though, I still own a copy of the encounter tables for dungeon levels 1-20. AND up to ten levels of water encounters...

saskganesh

First Post
Back then? 1978? Pretty much.

Play styles evolve. My current game only has short dungeons, so dungeon "levels" don't figure. And I use a greater range of monster levels, no matter the player level.

Remove ads