Dungeon Master’s Keep - $150 GM Screen?

keterys

First Post
I think I'm too out of tune with edition warring - I didn't even realize that was the 4E logo, instead of a generic dragon icon.

Now, those door knockers (once I looked up a higher res image) - those are maddeningly evocative of 1st edition, and I just can't imagine that not inflaming local gamers to riot. ;)

Put me down for "too rich for my blood" and "meh, it's all D&D".

frankthedm

First Post
I am sorry, but how is that lump of plastic worth $150? The equivalent for a child's toy castle would cost what? $10 $20 max?
You are in for sticker shock the next time you are in the toy isle of a retail store.

kingsransomw.jpg

DMs_Keep_Back_750.jpg

Given the size of this thing, it might have sold for around $24.99 in the early eighties. Nowadays an item like this probably would ballpark in the $50-$60 range, possibly more since it's heavy.

The $150 price tag was set high so fewer units need to be sold for it to be profitable for both manufacturer and licenser.

Last edited:

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
The 4th edition logo is certainly a turn-off, but I like the model.

Agreed. I saw one of these (or the earlier one that was a promotional(?)) a few years ago and really dug it.

I would buy this if not for two things:

I travel to my games. LIRR then a 5 - 6 block walk to the location. I just loaded a bunch of my Pathfinder books onto my iPad2 so that I'm not lugging around all that weight. I'm not adding that weight back on with this thing.

The 4E logo is in fact kind of a turn off for me. I know that Fat Dragon Games has one of these that you can create from card stock that I bought a few years ago. I think there's a newer version out so I might try that one instead and print and cut and paste the Pathfinder logo on it.

If this was a generic thing I'd be leaning toward picking this up.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
And here I thought gamers were the antithesis of fashionistas instead of the target market for Garanimals.

I mean I never realized creativity, fun and imagination could be so stifled by mis-matched logos and branding inconsistencies.

Think of it this way: it's like buying a cool shirt with the logo of your favorite sports team's rival on it. Sure, the shirt is nice, but you wouldn't be caught wearing the thing with such a logo.

It's like a Vikings Fan buying something with a Packers logo on it.

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
Think of it this way: it's like buying a cool shirt with the logo of your favorite sports team's rival on it. Sure, the shirt is nice, but you wouldn't be caught wearing the thing with such a logo.

I think that's what he said.

I think he gets it.

And like me, I think he simply doesn't like it.

Klaus

First Post

Setting aside the "rival" thing, it's not even a logo. It's a dragon's head inside a circle.

But then again, I played lots of Rolemaster using D&D screens, so I must be weird.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Setting aside the "rival" thing, it's not even a logo. It's a dragon's head inside a circle.

I'm referring to the "Dungeons & Dragons" words in the "4th edition" font - not the picture in front (although others might be referring to the picture).

Runestar

First Post
Given the size of this thing, it might have sold for around $24.99 in the early eighties. Nowadays an item like this probably would ballpark in the $50-$60 range, possibly more since it's heavy.

The $150 price tag was set high so fewer units need to be sold for it to be profitable for both manufacturer and licenser.

So this screen caters to the gullible rich? :blush:

That seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy. With the hefty price tag, indeed, few people can afford one, much less find it worth the money.

Heck, I am betting we can fashion a decent screen out of lego. :D

Herschel

Adventurer
I'm referring to the "Dungeons & Dragons" words in the "4th edition" font - not the picture in front (although others might be referring to the picture).

It's not really a rival team even, it's more like Tommy Hilfiger vs. Izod, it's a freakin' FONT unless you've never played D&D at all. That badge on front looks pretty 1E too, OMG! It doesn't pray at the foot of Paizo! Burn it!

I hope you don't use Chessex dice, they make the dice that go in the 4E WotC packs!

Not liking the price I get pretty easily, it's steep and a "luxury" item, but because the D&D logo is not in the prefered font? That's simply pathetic. Heck, most sane people would never even NOTICE the font, especially since it's on the back side. And even if they did, they would not care.

Seriously, I have NEVER thought about the logos on ANY of my gaming stuff. That's not brand loyalty, that's brand idiocy.

Last edited:

Remove ads