D&D General Dungeon Master or Referee?

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
In older D&D books the person behind the screen is often called the Referee, which implies an impartial stance but also contains authority (final word). Dungeon Master doesn't have the neutral connotation and puts a higher emphasis on authority (master). Do you see yourself as a referee or a dungeon master? Or are they both just the same thing?

I see myself as a Referee.

Oofta

Legend
I think it's a silly distinction. On the other hand, referee to me implies neutral arbiter that preplans everything and is generally in an adversarial relationship. DM means more than that.

But it's semantics, I don't attach any particular meaning or negative connotation to the "master" in DM. There are only so many words in the english language. 🤷‍♂️

To me a "referee" is a person who interprets and enforces the rules. While that is certainly part of a Dungeon Master's job, it is a pretty small part. To me a Dungeon Master is a person who invents worlds and characters, improvises stories in collaboration with players, acts in multiple roles, makes tactical decisions for enemies, and oh yeah, also interprets and enforces the rules.

So I see myself as Dungeon Master, which is a much larger role than that of referee.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
In older D&D books the person behind the screen is often called the Referee, which implies an impartial stance but also contains authority (final word). Dungeon Master doesn't have the neutral connotation and puts a higher emphasis on authority (master). Do you see yourself as a referee or a dungeon master? Or are they both just the same thing?

I see myself as a Referee.
The DM is often called a referee, but only because that's ONE of his multiple hats. I see myself as the DM, because that's what I am and have been since I started playing during 1e.

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
I think it's a silly distinction. On the other hand, referee to me implies neutral arbiter that preplans everything and is generally in an adversarial relationship. DM means more than that.

But it's semantics, I don't attach any particular meaning or negative connotation to the "master" in DM. There are only so many words in the english language. 🤷‍♂️
You obviously never watched any sport. A referee is neutral, not adversarial... otherwise he is fired! :p

Marc_C

Solitary Role Playing
Referee comes from wargames, going all the way back to the Prussian kriegsspiel. Dungeon Master used to literally mean you had created a big dungeon that you ran players through, which is an increasingly inaccurate term for the role in D&D.

I still say "DM," but I'm trending toward changing my usage to "referee."
That is pretty much also why I call myself a Referee. (I love wargames).

Oofta

Legend
You obviously never watched any sport. A referee is neutral, not adversarial... otherwise he is fired! :p

Yeah, I think others have explained it better: the DM is a lot more than just a referee. They're a participant. Besides if I was master at the table my players would know to bring snacks! :mad:

Remove ads