• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon of the Fire Opal, Part VI

HeavyG

First Post
The bystander hurries on his way. :eek:

After taking a look around, the party comes to the conclusion that Wolf's Tavern is a pretty average little inn, with reasonable prices and okay food and drinks. Its name comes from the owner/bartender, James Wolf, a retired adventurer.

The party also overhears a pair of travellers talking about their reason for coming to Teziir. It seems that the city encourages most faiths to establish a temple here and thus, the city has a multitude of religious buildings.

Taz

First Post
“Well, yes of course, it's as safe as it can be. And looking scary doesn't always help, sometimes it just attracts unwanted attention!”

Taz smiles and shrugs.

Of course, Taz will keep the gemstone as safe as possible, having it stashed in a small bag under her clothing, so noone could possibly steal it from her. And she knows at least the basic tricks of the trade.

OOC: When will we get back to Archibald anyways, I lost track how long we travelled here. But it wasn't that long. One more day?

Last edited:

reapersaurus

Explorer
HeavyG said:
Its name comes from the owner/bartender, James Wolf, a retired adventurer.

The party also overhears a pair of travellers talking about their reason for coming to Teziir. It seems that the city encourages most faiths to establish a temple here and thus, the city has a multitude of religious buildings.
Ubaar is disappointed when the answer to his question of "Where are the wolfies?" is a negative. :(

"I was hoping some wildness could be in town..."

After hearing about the religious pilgrims, Ubaar will strike up a conversation, something like this:
"Heya - you guys come to Teziir to set up shop for your god?

Why you have to come here to do that?
To build brick and stone place where god live?
god shouldn't live in temple - he should live inside each of us - in here!"
*Ubaar strikes his left breast emphatically.*

"You wanna hear about Uthgar?
He so Strong, he let Ubaar do many things - give me Strength to survive when all around is pain...."

Ubaar goes on, trying to I guess recruit followers for Uthgar down south.

OOC: how do you guys play clerics?
In my experience with campaigns, either followers readily adopt what the PC cleric says, or there's not a snowball's chance that NPC's will adopt the faith of the PC, regardless of how spectacular of proof (in personal powers) that the PC displays...

Discuss?

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
reapersaurus said:
In my experience with campaigns, either followers readily adopt what the PC cleric says, or there's not a snowball's chance that NPC's will adopt the faith of the PC, regardless of how spectacular of proof (in personal powers) that the PC displays...

Discuss?

I think that in a polytheistic world like Faerûn, shows of power aren't that great for conversions. They show that your god has efficacy (or you're really slick :D), but not that he/she/it is suited for the person's worship.

Edit: In the campaign I run, the PC paladin has converted a number of others to his faith. We don't have a PC cleric in the party, but the late NPC cleric who was with the party tried for conversions. He wasn't as successful, making no on-stage conversions at all.

Last edited:

drs

First Post
"Here is fine" Murhid says as they enter the inn.
"After we eat, we should see if there is a jeweler or some such that can tell us if his sir-ship, Archibald, is telling the truth in that the gem is priceless... and yes we should also ask about Archibald himself, good idea Tall-One." After Murhid eats he asks if Taz (and gem :)), and the rest of the group want to check if there are any jewelers about. Murhid will leave it to Ubaar to find out more about Archibald, given it was his suggestion.

Taz

First Post
OOC: reaper, wasn't there an OOC thread once?

Taz replies: “Do you think it's a good idea to alarm others about our prrrecious?” ;)

HeavyG

First Post
Taz said:
“Well, yes of course, it's as safe as it can be. And looking scary doesn't always help, sometimes it just attracts unwanted attention!”

Taz smiles and shrugs.

(OOC : as an aside, it is well-known that Teziir is the safest city on the den of depravity that is the Dragon Coast.)

Taz said:
OOC: When will we get back to Archibald anyways, I lost track how long we travelled here. But it wasn't that long. One more day?

A half day to a day's ride.

reapersaurus said:
After hearing about the religious pilgrims, Ubaar will strike up a conversation, something like this:
"Heya - you guys come to Teziir to set up shop for your god?

Why you have to come here to do that?
To build brick and stone place where god live?
god shouldn't live in temple - he should live inside each of us - in here!"
*Ubaar strikes his left breast emphatically.*

"You wanna hear about Uthgar?
He so Strong, he let Ubaar do many things - give me Strength to survive when all around is pain...."

Ubaar goes on, trying to I guess recruit followers for Uthgar down south.

The pilgrims turn to look haughtily at the barbarian.

"Nooo, we haven't come to establish a Temple to our Lord of the Morning. We have come to visit the Halls of the Rising Sun and present our respects to its High Priestess."

They don't seem too keen on hearing about what they call a "second-rate barbarian demipower", either.

reapersaurus said:

Discuss?

This is the second case, right now. :D

In my experience, PC clerics rarely take the opportunity to try and convert followers. And like CRG says, it's not a matter of proof. Everybody knows that Lathander and Uthgar and Bane are real and that they all grant spells to their clerics. That's why they'll choose a deity who corresponds to their life interests. And most people don't worship one deity anyway, but pay service to the one that applies most to their current situation.

(Tried to post this yesterday but the boards wouldn't let me)

Last edited:

drs

First Post
Taz said:
Taz replies: “Do you think it's a good idea to alarm others about our prrrecious?”
"True Taz, maybe it be best if we not poke around... Archibald just had a certian air about him, an unsettling force." Murhid looks around, "Ah it's probably all in my head anyway."

drs

First Post
Once done eating Murhid will set out for an evening walk, have a look at some of the ships in port, and see if there is any interesting night life in Teziir.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads