• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon Raiders: The Wolf's Den

Li Shenron

Legend
"What's beyond this room? Can you tell me that?"

The hobgoblin replies without raising her eyes on you: "Death. There is only death for you beyond this cave.", she says between her teeth for a second, but then her voice turns hopeless, any apparent trace of anger or spite quickly fading away: "But for what matters, there is only death outside as well. For you and for me...".

[OoC: I took the liberty of dramatize the Ray of Frost only because it was the winning strike of the battle. Do not count on such effect to be the norm ;) ]

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Bartleby is tired of arrogant posing, and he doesn't want it from this cowering hobgoblin or any of her kind. He slams her against the wall where she's fallen, and says in goblin, "Whelp! Don't waste my time. Answer my questions directly, or Maglubiyet won't recognize the corpse of your pup there. What's beyond this room?"

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
Although his mechanical face shows little emotion, Tock is relieved to have survived the melee. His skills up to now had been used mostly on rag-tag Kobold raiders, and this Hobgoblin band was a new challenge for him.

"I must agree with Aeyian." he replies, stowing his halberd across his back, "It would be wise perhaps for our healer to remain in the back ranks if we press onwards. I myself am willing to take the lead, as I am undamaged... for the moment."

As if to reassure himself that this is true, Tock glances over his arms, pausing for a moment to check a rivet on his forearm, ensuring his metal plating is not coming loose. He taps his timepiece briefly before turning to face the remaining Hobgoblin, showing little mercy or concern as Bartleby interrogates her.

"If you cannot force anything useful from the creature, then we must ensure she cannot warn the others... either with a merciful death or with rope and bindings."

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"And Bartleby shouldn't take point, in my opinion, since he wields the last of our magical healing -- if I heard aright -- so we don't want him dropping first again."

Hearing Aeiyan over his shoulder, Bartleby is not sure if it's a dig or not. Without missing a beat, he turns and grabs a healing potion from his belt pouch.

"Catch," he says, as he lobs it towards his comrade. "Now we have a back-up plan."

He turns back to the cowering hobgoblin and growls sub vocally, as he awaits her answer.

Li Shenron

Legend
Hearing Aeiyan over his shoulder, Bartleby is not sure if it's a dig or not. Without missing a beat, he turns and grabs a healing potion from his belt pouch.

"Catch," he says, as he lobs it towards his comrade. "Now we have a back-up plan."

He turns back to the cowering hobgoblin and growls sub vocally, as he awaits her answer.

As Bartleby turns around, his flank meets the stern blade of a small dagger the hobgoblin had quickly drawn from her belt as he turned away [crit - 7 dmg]. "I never lie. Go see yourself!" she utters, and then pushes the dwarf away from her.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Bartleby is angry, and the stab wound makes it worse. How the creature was able to get through his armour with that knife he doesn't know, but in a clean move he draws his scimitar and swings at the supposedly helpless hobgoblin.

1d20+4=14.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Aeiyan drops the dagger from his left hand to catch the potion bottle. Then he draws the same light hammer he stowed a moment before. He throws it at the archer/spearwoman hobgoblin, aiming to knock her unconscious.

1d20+4;1d4+3 -> [16,4] = (20)
1d20+4;1d4+3 -> [4,3] = (7)

Link http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4377379/
BBCode 1d20+4=20, 1d4+3=7

[That's assuming she still standing. If Bartleby felled her, I guess the hammer whizzes through the empty space where her head had been.]

"Potions," he breathes. "Oh, yeah! I forgot there were potions."

Li Shenron

Legend
Bartleby is angry, and the stab wound makes it worse. How the creature was able to get through his armour with that knife he doesn't know, but in a clean move he draws his scimitar and swings at the supposedly helpless hobgoblin.

1d20+4=14.

Aeiyan drops the dagger from his left hand to catch the potion bottle. Then he draws the same light hammer he stowed a moment before. He throws it at the archer/spearwoman hobgoblin, aiming to knock her unconscious.

1d20+4;1d4+3 -> [16,4] = (20)
1d20+4;1d4+3 -> [4,3] = (7)

With a concentrated effort as quick as lightning, Bartleby and Aeiyan react to the hobgoblin's bursts, making her words the last.

[OoC, you both hit but 7 dmg is well enough to kill her, so no need to roll the other damage roll.
[MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], I had the same thought! About how to interpret/describe such hit, exactly because you have a type of armor that cover almost all your body, you weak spots first and foremost (that's how armors are most reasonably designed for, right?). Since a 20 is a "critical hit", I thought this should be a lucky shot hitting you in one of the few unprotected spots (face, knee?), but OTOH this didn't resonate well at all with the fact that 7 points of damage for you are still nothing, you'll recover them with a short rest. Well, I guess we should just try not to push the description too far in this case... :)]

Jimmy Disco T

First Post
"Bartleby! Are you ok?" asks Tock with concern. "It seems our foes are treacherous even in defeat..."

Tock feels a pang of regret that he was not able to react quicker to the Hobgoblin's vicious sneak attack; after all of the time has has spent protecting others from harm, it always feels like a personal failing when those close to him are hurt.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Bartleby looks at the corpse on the ground, needlessly dead, and shakes his head.

"I'm not sure I am, Tock." He pokes at the open wound, and grimaces.

"I guess I now have a reason to suggest we bind our wounds and catch our breath for an hour." He smirks. For a second time, he cleans his blade and puts it away. He picks up the old hobgoblin's blade and sheathes it, as a memento.

"Are we secure? We didn't wait a whole shift, so we don't know what schedule they are on. Does anybody see anything that would let us know when our friends here might be missed?" As he talks through these issues, Bartleby is holding his side, the blood leaking through.

Bartleby crosses the room to where the large hobgoblin had emerged, from behind the corner at the end of the room. Is there a door that needs to be shut, or a position that needs to be guarded? As he does so, he passes by the old female's child, the skull helm and feathered spear lying on the ground.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads