• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon reviews?

Crothian

First Post
This would be really cool. I don't buy dungeon because it's to much of a craps shoot for me. I have no idea of what type of adventures are going to be in what issue.

KnowTheToe

First Post
YEA. They should come out with a magazine that tells you what will be in the other magazine. That would be cooooool. Even if they would write reviews / previews of the adventures online, it would require more work and effect the cost of the mag and probably not effect sales.

Agnostic Paladin

First Post
I did reviews for the first three 3e issues way back when; they're probably still up over at 3rdedition.org - they're the only reviews of mine that I didn't copy over to here since there's no magazines in the product database.

Last edited:

The Oracle

First Post
Crothian said:
This would be really cool. I don't buy dungeon because it's to much of a craps shoot for me. I have no idea of what type of adventures are going to be in what issue.

Magazine racks at hobby shop or bookstore have them, open them and see if you like what is inside, then you decide if you want it. Don't you have any bookstores or hobby shops nearby?

morrolan

First Post
I've been picking up Dungeon recently (last 6 issues or so), and so far have had good luck with them. I have found something usable in every issue so far. Some issues have more that I want than others, and some adventures take more scaling/adapting than others, but something in there usually gets me excited about Dm'ing. Plus now they are doing the single encounter type articles (Critical Threat) that gives an npc or single location. those are always usefull as adventure core ideas, or just for when the party wants to do something unexpected.

omedon

First Post
I wrote an email message to morrus regarding this very issue in August of this year during the integration of Eric Noahs website into EN World.

----- Original Message -----
To: <morrus@lineone.net>
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 6:34 AM
Subject: A few thoughts for you to chew on

Just a few thoughts for you to chew on.

Have you ever considered adding the Free Original Adventures from the WOTC site to the free product section of D20 Reviews. If so, then why haven't you?

Also I think it might be interesting to add a magazine section to D20 reviews where people could share their thoughts on issues of Dungeon, Dragon, along with various other gaming related magazines. This would be particularly useful for those interested in dungeon since it is usually sealed in a bag and the buyer can't inspect the quality of the adventures before purchasing the magazine.

Anyways, Keep up the good work I'm very impressed at how quickly you have managed to integrate most of Eric Noah's Site. I was sad to learn that
Eric would be closing down. On the upside I have saved a lot of time because of the recent changes, All the information I need can be found at one place
(I used to check both sites regularly along with WOTC. Now I only need to
check two sites compulsively)

Thank you for your time.

Omedon

----- End of Message -----

And I received this response from Morrus

----- Original Message -----
To: "Andrew Rosevear" <omedon@hotmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 29, 2001 7:03 AM
Subject: Re: A few thoughts for you to chew on

The (eventual) plan is to have the Adventure Guide deal with *all* free materials and the d20 reviews secion deal with published modules etc. The Adventure Guide will have a reviews system very similar to that of the d20 reviews system.

It will probably be a while before I get that done, though, as there are other, more pressing priorities at present. But it's certainly on the 'to do' list. As for magazines - I have thought about about that, but I'm not so sure that it's worth doing - who is really iterested in knowing how good Dragon Issue 78 was (especially given the fact that they are unlikely to be able to get hold of it)?. It's worth thinking about though.

Morrus

----- End of Message -----

I don't know how any of this fits into Morrus's current plans for EN World but I thought you might be interested anyways.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
What I wanted to do..

Once upon a time, I wanted to do a PHP/MySql database setup for all the Dungeon Mags where you could search for adventures by terrain, levels, synopsis, length and so on. Players could also post reviews/comments and so on. Then real life came along and I put the idea to rest...

Maybe soem other brave soul will attempt the deed... ;)

Remove ads