• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeon! the boardgame that presaged Dungeons and Dragons is 50 years old!

kronovan

Adventurer
When I was in my board game burying craze I kept hearing about this game - like it was some shining jewel of a game from days gone by . Then it got republished years after its original release, so I bought a copy. Wow, was I ever unimpressed. To each their own, but it's mediocre IMO and I traded my copy away rather quickly.

Longspeak

Adventurer
I used to play a computer game based around this.... but this was ages ago.... I think on my dad's TRS-80? Or maybe an early 8088? But I've never owned or played the board game.

Undrave

Legend
In the late 90s I went into a phase where I would paint miniatures as a hobby and I got a box of characters for Dungeon! that I think was used but unpainted (it has a 1989 copyright and I got that way later)... They came with little cards for new spell cards, but I don't think I had the rules. They were TSR and Ral Partha branded. There were 10 characters and supposedly 4 new ones? It also includes cards for the Illusionary

Ah! Found 'em! The characters were: The Cleric, the Halfing (not halfLing), the Ranger, the Warrior, the Paladin, the Elf, the Dwarf, the Wizard, the Thief and the Gnome Illusionist. The spells were Illusionary Warrior and Telekinesis Treasure. No explanation what they do :p

Stormonu

Legend
When I was in my board game burying craze I kept hearing about this game - like it was some shining jewel of a game from days gone by . Then it got republished years after its original release, so I bought a copy. Wow, was I ever unimpressed. To each their own, but it's mediocre IMO and I traded my copy away rather quickly.
Yeah, I've owned this at least 3 different times (back in the 80's, in the 90's and the 00's), and it never stuck with me. My own kids never were never fond of it, so I finally got rid of it back some years ago. I'll take Heroquest & Descent over it any day.

MGibster

Legend
I don't think I've played it since the Bush administration, the first Bush administration, and I'm almost positive I must have played the 1989 version rather than the '75 version. But I couldn't tell you anything about how the game plays other than you go through a dungeon and kill things. I didn't even remember you had to collect treasure to win until I looked it up.

In truth, there are a lot of games I loved way back then that I have fond memories about, but I doubt I'd want to play them these days. Starfleet Battles and Car Wars are two that I can think of off the top of my head. Good times, but tedious these days.

Andvari

Hero
My small town local library had this and we played it for a while as kids. Other than the cool box art it didn't really manage to capture out attentions for long. Especially when we had stuff like D&D, AD&D and HeroQuest.

I seem to vaguely recall the paladin being capable of healing another hero as a special thing he could do, but there was no reason to as you were playing against the other heroes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads