WotC Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Video Game Announcement Trailer

An announcement trailer for Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance premiered at The Game Awards on Thursday evening.

Developed by Tuque Games, the studio acquired earlier this year by Wizards of the Coast, the game will be a sequel of sorts in the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance action-RPG series for the Xbox, Playstation 2, and Gamecube. This game, however, will go to Icewind Dale and feature four-player co-op as you take on the roles of Drizzt Do'Urden, Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar, and Bruenor. The game is due for release in 2020.

darkalliance.png

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

oh, setting, story, characters, all the things that actually matter.

LOL “death metal”? Have you...ever listened to any metal? That isn’t what death metal sounds like.

That was hardcore bro metal, along the lines of garbage like Five Finger Death Punch.
It's In Flames, which was the big influence of all those metalcore bands, and peaked around 1999 and haven't been good since then.

Oh, I listened to that album so much in the early-early 90s. Still love it.

But back to the trailer, now that you mention it, considering the choice of music (not particularly a flavor of metal I like) and style, I suspect that they were going for a music video vibe. The focus on people's faces, the shots from the ends of people's weapons. You could put a microphone in front of Drizzt and a set of drums in front of Bruenor.

I'm still going to reserve judgment of the game until later. It could be awesome, meh, or ugh. There's a lot of time between first trailer and release.

And I prefer an action RPG to a more traditional, turn-based game. If I want turned-based D&D, I have, well, D&D.

Anyone else think of the Digging in the Dirt video by Peter Gabriel when watching this?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
It's In Flames, which was the big influence of all those metalcore bands, and peaked around 1999 and haven't been good since then.
Metalcore is the term I was looking for! Thank you!

I think the only metalcore band I’ve ever liked at all was Thrice, and even they are hit or miss.

Anyway, nothing wrong with a metal or rock track for a fantasy trailer. It’s not like that means the game will use modern music in its score.

A lot of folks get way too worked up about little crap like that. “Oh no they changed Tifa’s cup size! OMG how can I maintain immersion in a trailer with rock music! How dare they change Harry Potter’s eye color!?!!!?!?!”

Life is much more satisfying when one chills the hell out, and just like...enjoy stuff or ignore it. 🤷‍♂️

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Those are all just names though...name dropping. It's a completely different chassis than the actual game is built on. If I take a Chevy Chevette and put a Ferrari logo on it, it doesn't make it the same as a Ferrari. And contrary to your opinion, the fluff isn't "all the things that actually matter." The mechanics matter a lot too. Especially when many of the iconic things in D&D have to be changed because they won't work in a real time action RPG
If you have to resort to pejoratives of others' opinions, then you've already lost the argument.
Nah. Some opinions merit some light derision.

And there is no “winning” internet arguments about preferences, which is all any of this is.

Video games aren’t dnd. Period. They’re an adaptation.

If the game tells a story about dnd characters in a dnd world using dnd tropes and dnd enemies and rewards you with dnd items and character abilities, but you refuse to admit it’s a dnd game because it...isn’t turn based, then you’re being silly. 🤷‍♂️

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases