WotC Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance Video Game Announcement Trailer

An announcement trailer for Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance premiered at The Game Awards on Thursday evening. Developed by Tuque Games, the studio acquired earlier this year by Wizards of the Coast, the game will be a sequel of sorts in the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance action-RPG series for the Xbox, Playstation 2, and Gamecube. This game, however, will go to Icewind Dale and feature...

An announcement trailer for Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance premiered at The Game Awards on Thursday evening.

Developed by Tuque Games, the studio acquired earlier this year by Wizards of the Coast, the game will be a sequel of sorts in the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance action-RPG series for the Xbox, Playstation 2, and Gamecube. This game, however, will go to Icewind Dale and feature four-player co-op as you take on the roles of Drizzt Do'Urden, Cattie-Brie, Wulfgar, and Bruenor. The game is due for release in 2020.

darkalliance.png

Darryl Mott

Darryl Mott

Hurin70

Adventurer
I don’t know. It seems hit or miss. We’ve had really good ones like BG series, gold box, Neverwinter Nights, and even ToEE was good. Then you’ve got stinkers like Menzoberanzan, Blood and Magic, Dark Sun, DragonStrike, and Sword Coast Legends.

So if patterns repeat, Larion’s BG game will be good, and this one will suck lol

Don't forget DDO. Some people didn't like it, due to the fact that it took some chances in its dungeon structure, but my friends and I played the heck out of it, and loved it. Nothing like having Gary Gygax narrate a dungeon for you!

Hurin70

Adventurer
The primary problem which I see is that the character models have perhaps the worst motion animations I have seen in a "serious" release for a while. Heck, Mr. D's (I'm not getting into the various spellings of his name) body is completely divorced from the motion of his arms, which are divorced from the motion of his head in the trailer. The only way I would be able to accept such awful animations and, top be frank, plastic-like graphic quality with nothing original to tie it together in a modern game would be if extreme character customization was offered.

That's what I was most disappointed by as well: the animations. They are terrible. The moment when Bruenor raises his shield and tilts his head is telling. It's almost like I'm watching the guy in Dire Straits' Money for Nothing video in 1987 again.

slygeek

Explorer
Can we not use "retarded" in that way, please?
Is this a joke? How did they think a heavy metal track would inspire the RPG community? Who grew up loving games like Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy and Elder Scrolls. Are they retarded?

And what's with the acid trip through Icewind Dale? Looked like Drizzt was having a seizure.

PASS

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Is this a joke? How did they think a heavy metal track would inspire the RPG community? Who grew up loving games like Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy and Elder Scrolls. Are they retarded?

And what's with the acid trip through Icewind Dale? Looked like Drizzt was having a seizure.

PASS

A. I grew up with those games and love heavy metal.

B. That trailer is awful.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Is this a joke? How did they think a heavy metal track would inspire the RPG community? Who grew up loving games like Baldur's Gate, Final Fantasy and Elder Scrolls. Are they ?

PASS
Had they chosen an actual heavy metal track, it could easily have worked. The overlap between the target audience and people who enjoy metal is pretty damn big.
They chose a terrible sub genre of metal (seriously metalcore is closer to just really angry sounding 2000’s rock than it is to other metal sub genres) and made a dumb trailer with it.

SpellJammer16

Apprentice of the Seventh Circle of Mystery
I cannot stand the trailer or the music. I sure hope any in game cut scenes are not like this.
I'm not going to base my decision on the trailer though as I usually find them misleading.
Let's see some gameplay footage!

Hoping BG3 will do it for me so I am looking for a 4 player coop game to play with the kids (we already played D&D Heroes) but this might be too bloody. Currently waiting for Minecraft Dungeons to be released in the spring. Gameplay trailer:

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Had they chosen an actual heavy metal track, it could easily have worked. The overlap between the target audience and people who enjoy metal is pretty damn big.
They chose a terrible sub genre of metal (seriously metalcore is closer to just really angry sounding 2000’s rock than it is to other metal sub genres) and made a dumb trailer with it.
The metal they chose to utilize is more like "bro metal" or "chaos metal" than anything else. It's experimental no-wave somesuch, and it doesn't fit.

Mercador

Adventurer
Lol seriously?
Astroturfing is a thing ;)

But I think you are just more positive than the majority here. As someone that had to review Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor 20 years ago, I have to be skeptic. Moreover when the owner's studio is boasting a AAA game studio without tangible proofs. It sounds like a recipe for disaster. I wish I'm wrong and we'll get a fun Drizzt hack&slash game but I feel we'll get a reskin of their only other game, à la Diablo Immortal.

Remove ads

Remove ads