• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dungeons of Dread...disappointing

Simplicity

Explorer
The poster pics look like crap compared to the earlier sets. And you know that those are the best versions of the minis that they could get. The quality of the miniatures is quite definitely down from some of the earlier sets, and it really annoys me. Especially since I would like to get some of these new minis so that I can get my 4e on with some of the new 4e monsters.

The Large Dopey Dragon, for example. :)

Simplicity

Explorer
Thurbane said:
I guess I'm still feeling burned after Giants of Legend. Of 10 packs myself and my friends picked up, 7 were Nightwalkers. We always call the set "Nightwalkers of Legend".

Perhaps I am overreacting to the distribution based on a sample of 4 boosters, but I was in a bad mood to begin with due to the craptacular quality of 75% of the minins themselves.

...nevertheless, I remain unconvinced that certain Rares and Uncommons aren't as anywhere as rare or uncommon as others. I've seen it set after set - I've bought case after case of the things. Perhaps I am just supremely unlucky, but somehow I doubt that.

If you didn't buy Giants of Legend in the case, you were really rolling the dice. Straight from the case, the Huges were really well distributed. People were starting to buy the boosters based on weight. And there was a noticable different between some of the huges in terms of weight.

Festivus

First Post
My friend and I bought two cases to split, we got exactly what we wanted with distribution between the two of us each taking a case. There was a lot of overlap on the rares but he got Eye of Flame, I got the Young Red Dragon.. we are both happy with what we got.

There are some real dogs in there. Grick and the new Troglodyte come to mind as flat out awful. But... the grick looks different enough from the last set that I can use them as some other monster alltogether (in fact I am using them as Octopins tomorrow night).

I think the winners outweigh the losers for me this set. The only bummer is no 3.5 stat cards. I had grown to like using those cards from time to time in my 3.5 game.

zoroaster100

First Post
I really liked the new vrock (much better than the one from Archfiends). And there were also a few other nice minis in the set. But overall I agree with the OP's assessment that this was definitely a step backward in quality. The worst offenders for me were the grick, the elf archer and the troglodyte (which has virtually no paint on its plain grey body).

Zaukrie

New Publisher
GoL had some distribution issues in the huge uncommon area, I'll grant you that one. There have not been distribution issues other than the huge packs for a few years now.

The original set (Harbinger) had huge distribution issues - in some parts of the country gnolls (I think it was gnolls) were as rare as rares. They've fixed those issues over time.

And, I agree, the new Grick is terrible also. The goblin is uninspiring (to say the nicest thing I can about it) and the bahnalaloqtohasdlfh (sp?) is much worse than the uncommon chaos beast we just got 1 set ago (or was it two).

Thurbane said:
...nevertheless, I remain unconvinced that certain Rares and Uncommons aren't as anywhere as rare or uncommon as others. I've seen it set after set - I've bought case after case of the things. Perhaps I am just supremely unlucky, but somehow I doubt that.
That's just probability. Chances are good that you will see more of one mini than others...but someone else will see more of another mini. You'll both think the distribution is wonky, but you'll disagree on which minis are more common than they're supposed to be.

HeinorNY

First Post
OK, that's enough!
Who's behind DDM painting raises his hand!!

baby_paint.jpg

Oryan77

Adventurer
Olaf the Stout said:
I clicked on that link half-expecting to get Rick-Rolled! :D
Dang, I blew it! But that does give me a good idea for a link to add in my sig :lol: *goes to update the sig*

ainatan said:
Yes, it does! :eek:
Yes...that pic is pretty much what I think when I see that mini! *barf*

Has WotC made any comments on the (inferior) quality issues?

I thought I read that the person who used to be in charge of quality control isn't anymore and that might have something to do with the decline...

Remove ads