• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DungeonScape (formerly known as Morningstar)

Silvenger

First Post
I would need to know

1) The price point
2) Do I own the material once I buy it or is there some subscription? (that would be a deal breaker for me)
3) How robust is the "creator's" toolbox will be.
In addition, I would like to know if the subscription can be shared. My adventuring party shared the payment of the Character Builder and it was cool, just a few buckets per year, and it has been very useful. The app looks awesome, though, I'd probably buy it.

By the way... er... WHEN?

You own the material, no subscription. [source]

I doubt even the developers can answer your other questions at the moment.

Note that the answer is pretty precisely worded, and it does NOT confirm that there will be "no subscription".

What it very clearly confirms is that when you buy THE CONTENT, you own THE CONTENT and retain access to THE CONTENT.

However, the way he then talks about how awesome THE TOOLS are and how he hopes people will want THE TOOLS, as if there's something separate from THE CONTENT, I would be unsurprised if we see some sort of hybrid model, where you buy bits of content, get basic tools to access them, but subscribe to the more advanced tools. I'm not saying it's definitely that way, but he is answering the question in a way that very much leaves that possibility wide open, when it would have been easy to say "tools and content" if he meant that.

I'm betting it's going to end up a hell of a lot more expensive than the 4E approach, either way.

lkj

Hero
I would need to know

1) The price point
2) Do I own the material once I buy it or is there some subscription? (that would be a deal breaker for me)
3) How robust is the "creator's" toolbox will be.

Clearly they are not allowed to answer those questions yet, but I did find this exchange interesting:

Random twitter person: "is there any word on how we pay for this service? Free to play with in app purchases? Subscription? Buy outright?"

Dungeonscape person: "We haven't announced anything officially yet but I can tell you there will an option for everyone :)"

Later the Dungeonscape person did state that there would be free content so people could try it out. Wonder if the basic rules will be in there free? Or something much smaller in scale?

AD

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Clearly they are not allowed to answer those questions yet, but I did find this exchange interesting:

Random twitter person: "is there any word on how we pay for this service? Free to play with in app purchases? Subscription? Buy outright?"

Dungeonscape person: "We haven't announced anything officially yet but I can tell you there will an option for everyone :)"

Later the Dungeonscape person did state that there would be free content so people could try it out. Wonder if the basic rules will be in there free? Or something much smaller in scale?

AD

Think the app itself will be less than 20$ and then they will have an cloud service for storage and then a subscription service for publications, or a pay-on-demand cost, would not be surprised if this does not match PDF cost for like products. Some of this thinking is based on using Hero lab and Realm Works as a model.

Something like this:
  • basic app + PHB (min cloud storage) = 20$
  • Cloud storage Annual (unlimited) = 50$ or less
  • Module = 10$ pay-on-demand
  • Subscription for adventure path / mags = monthly cost
  • New books = 20$ pay-on-demand

Last edited:

ForumFerret

Explorer
looking at the recent quotes from the Hobos, I think what we're going to see is something like free to sign up (Basic Rules support included), plus Character generation and DM/Party messaging and handouts support.

one-time purchases for book content (buy the PHB, it gets added to your available pool of data), adventures, etc.

Right now the big questions to me are Pricing, Sharing (can my party access content I have purchased? I could see giving them access to the mechanics, but not letting them have access to the actual ebook if such a thing is available). Will I be able to purchase subscriptions to modules, sourcebooks, etc?

seebs

Adventurer
The character stuff talks about "selecting" your personality traits, bonds, etc.; does that preclude free-form entry for those? (For that matter, what about gender, given that much-discussed language about other options...?)

Remove ads