• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E DungeonScape (formerly known as Morningstar)

rastus_burne

First Post
I obviously wasn't very clear with my question, and should have been. Sorry about that.To wit: I have a PC running Windows 7. That's it. No laptop, no tablet, no smartphone. And I know zip, zero, zilch about apps. So my question is, with all that in mind, will I be able to use DungeonScape if I bought it, or not? Yes, this is a serious question, as I'm barely computer literate.
I'm sure it will be available as an app for computer too.

Agamon

Adventurer
I obviously wasn't very clear with my question, and should have been. Sorry about that.To wit: I have a PC running Windows 7. That's it. No laptop, no tablet, no smartphone. And I know zip, zero, zilch about apps. So my question is, with all that in mind, will I be able to use DungeonScape if I bought it, or not? Yes, this is a serious question, as I'm barely computer literate.

Fair enough. A PC and laptop are the same sort of thing, one is just more portable than the other.

An "app" is short for application, which is just a piece of software. You wrote that post on a web browser app, so you know more about them than you think. :)

So, DungeonScape is something you can use on your Win7 PC, no problem.

gyor

Legend
So far, I'm getting Deja-Vu from the 4E "digital tools" release. Let's see if they've learnt anything in the last couple of years. At the very least we should be getting layered maps and character creator/sheets for phones/tablets.

Different company and people making it.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Fair enough. A PC and laptop are the same sort of thing, one is just more portable than the other.

An "app" is short for application, which is just a piece of software. You wrote that post on a web browser app, so you know more about them than you think. :)

So, DungeonScape is something you can use on your Win7 PC, no problem.
Thank you. I'm feeling much better about it now.

rastus_burne

First Post
To be honest, I don't have the slightest idea. I pulled the name out of the blue and meant it to indicate any future volume which adds new (sub-)system to 5e.

Sorry for the confusion.
Oh right. So there hasn't been an official announcement saying they'll be releasing a DMG 2 for instance? If so, that's a relief, as I'm not keen to get on board the splatbook train.

Poet22

Explorer
I'm impressed

I had a chance at GenCon to see Dungeonscape twice and for the first time with a D&D related character manager, I am impressed. It covers both character creation and character management during play with not only great ease but also through a modern interface that will work well on phones, tablets, laptops, and desktop computers. It works perfectly with the new rules. And here's another example of why we can trust them: they repeated over and over again that they do NOT want this tool to get in the way of the human interaction of role-playing face to face around a table. No, you will NOT be able to hit a button on your screen and automatically take damage off a monster. This is NOT a video game!

The first release is the Player implementation for character creation and management. It should be available in a month.

The second release is the DM implementation, which should be ready by December. It will allow you to manage a campaign, adventure, and session. For example, a DM will be able to have a digital version of an adventure with all kinds of embedded images, maps, and full text that is not only searchable able to be bookmarked, but you can even select passages and share them with your players. More exciting, the DM will "invite" a group of players via email to a session, which will allow everyone around the table to communicate with each other info like initiative and basic stats, as well as send in game secret messages to each other! This includes the DM!

The third release will be the "forge" implementation next year for content creation, sharing, and even for sale.

Finally, the BIG reason why this company was chosen in the first place was their software for selling, storing, reading, and interacting with digital texts. I saw a "bookshelf" with the Player's Handbook and Hoard of the Dragon Queen, as well as several Encounter adventures, all with full text, art, and interactivity. Very cool!

These guys are SERIOUS programmers who have worked on other major digital properties. I think it is finally going to be an electronic aid that matches the system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads