D&D 5E Dungeonscape no more?

Paraxis

Explorer
Sorry to hear this news, but Roll20 lets me keep track of the character sheets and stuff so I honestly don't know how useful it was going to be to me.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I don't have enough information to lay any blame here, and I don't think I want to. However, I gotta wonder why it is so darned difficult for Wizards and it's partners to get out some solid digital tools. The community has done lots and lots of good tools, and sadly, have actually been hampered at points by licensing.

just frustrating that my hobby is having a hard time progressing with the rest of my hobbies.

I'm guessing because they don't seem to pick developers with a track record of producing RPG Tools. Heck, maybe that doesn't even exist (given there's not exactly a lot of money in it), but maybe they should be picking a database company or something.

JesterOC

Explorer
I think this means that they will be license more, not less. By funding a project they would hurt themselves if they opened up the license to others, now they can license to anyone and let the best software win. It is a win win, I only wish they had done this from the start. Of course this is just speculation, but Fantasy Grounds did visit with WotC a couple weeks ago right? So perhaps this has been in the cards for at least a few weeks.

JesterOC

Explorer
Damn. I was really looking forward to this, too.

If they can create it on their own budget then it will still come out. I suspect they will release for iOS first, then try to generate funds from its sales to fund Android and Web. As long as WotC is fair with its license structure they have a huge leg up on their possible competition.

el_stiko

Explorer
Last edition, it took them years and two implementations to disappoint me about tech tools. This time, they got me more excited than ever before, then it all fell apart again.

*shakes skinny fist at powers involved in bad decisions*

I'm guessing because they don't seem to pick developers with a track record of producing RPG Tools. Heck, maybe that doesn't even exist (given there's not exactly a lot of money in it), but maybe they should be picking a database company or something.
That and they partnered with an ebook company to make a character builder. Trapdoor went to them basically pitching a campaign manager program and WotC expanded the scope, which was likely a mistake.

I had hopes for DungeonScape but I really wasn't seeing a lot of progress.
I hope this means we can get PDFs sooner, even if digital tools are slower. Or, hopefully, WotC will partner with a company that makes digital tools. Like Lone Wolf. HeroLabs isn't as pretty as DungeonScape but it works and there's already an app.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases