• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Duskblade Build Help

Mainländer

First Post
Some friends and I are starting a new campaign soon. I’ve decided to try the Duskblade because it just seems like a fun class to play; the quintessential Warrior-Mage with – I think – a very wide array of possible Prestige Classes to pick from. The only problem is my complete lack of knowledge about Duskblades so maybe the experienced players here could offer me some help.

My biggest problem is Feats. Arcane Strike seems like the penultimate Feat for the Duskblade so I’ll probably take that one at first level. I got Knowledge Devotion penned in for Level 3 to take advantage of (at least) +1 Attack/Damage Rolls. For my second Level 1 Feat (I’m Human) I was thinking about Power Attack. True Strike + two-handed weapon + Power Attack (especially later on with the Repeat Spell Feat) seems like a deadly combination. The Law Devotion Feat (+3 on AC or Attack Rolls) seems like a nifty Feat as well, but I’m not sure.

Anyone got any tips for the Duskblade?

EDIT: There are already three other fighters in the group, so I was also thinking about using a reach weapon and fight from the second line. Does Power Attack work with reach weapons and is this a good idea?

Also, just how would the Feat Practised Spellcaster benefit the Duskblade?

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Arcane strike has some prerequs - bab +4 I think.

Shocking grasp is a terrific spell - our DB abused the heck out of it.
the full PA + truestrike worked well as well.
He missed the devotion feats and the repeat spell tricks.
reach weapons work just fine, and benifit from the 2:1 PA

Combat Expertise may be a good idea, at least until your armor gets better.

thompgc

First Post
Practiced Spellcaster would only help if you took levels in another class.

Also remember that the spell list is on page twenty something (end of the duskblade description). The list at the end of the book is only the new spells.

Remathilis

Legend
Doesn't the "Devotion" feats require domains to use?

Anyway, make sure you get Battlecaster Offense from Complete Mage. Its hellabroken for duskblades (+1 spell DC if you hit with a melee weapon last round, +1 to hit if you cast a spell last round) Arcane Strike is good as well.

Hejdun

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
Arcane strike has some prerequs - bab +4 I think.

For a duskblade, the killer prereq is the ability cast level 3 arcane spells, which a Duskblade doesn't get until level 9.

szilard

First Post
If there are three other fighters in the group, you might want to consider something other than just melee damage output. You'll have that covered... and a base Duskblade isn't bad at it.

You'll have a decent Intelligence, so Combat Expertise + Improved Disarm or Trip might be an interesting choice... giving you more options in combat. With a guisarme or ranseur, you can combine that with reach and decent damage.

-Stuart

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'll second the reach weapon suggestions, and note that Combat Reflexes can be quite nasty with the additional threatened spaces a Reach weapon grants. The Greatspear is an excellent choice of weapon as well- it has reach, a range increment, and does as much damage as any other 2hd weapon in the game- very flexible. In addition to the Power Attack feat tree, Monkey Grip, Powerful build and (depending upon campaign world) Heavy Weapon are also damage boosters.

Also, not only is the PHB2 a good source of reach weapon feats, but the DCv1 is excellent as well.

Bonus from the DCv1: A host of Feats that add 1 spell/level to the known spells lists of spontaneous arcane casters based upon their heritage! For example, the Earth Bloodline grants a bonus 1st level spell of Enlarge- very useful for a polearm wielding PC.

Spellfire, if it is allowed, gets you a bit of healing prowess.

Last edited:

Aleolus

First Post
Remathilis said:
Doesn't the "Devotion" feats require domains to use?

Strangely enough, no they don't.

As for the DB build, I would also recommend Eschew Materials, since Duskblades need spell components just the way other casting classes do. The various Metamagic feats are nice as well, though less useful when you only get up to fifth level spells. There's also a feat in Complete Arcane that has being able to cast spells while wearing armor as a prereq, and the effect is to increase the type of armor you can cast in by one size category. You take that at first level, and you start off being able to ignore Arcane Spell Failure while wearing medium armor, and it goes up to heavy armor at level 4! Casting spells in full plate, anyone?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You might also want to look down the road at possible PrCls.

A personal fave of mine- especially with a polearm build- is the Kensai.

The only thing the Duskblade intrinsically lacks is having Diplomacy as a class skill.

Mainländer

First Post
I think I’ve got my build figured out. I’d love some feedback, though. Is this a good way to go with my Feats?

Level 1 (Duskblade): Still Spell
Level 1 (Duskblade): Power Attack
Level 3 (Duskblade): Combat Reflexes
Level 4 (Fighter): Weapon Focus [Glaive]
Level 5 (Fighter): Short Haft
Level 6 (Duskblade): Repeat Spell
Level 9 (Duskblade): Arcane Strike or Extra Spell: Wraithstrike
Level 12 (Duskblade): Arcane Strike or Extra Spell: Wraithstrike

The only reason I pick Still Spell at level 1 is because I need a metamagic Feat to get Repeat Spell (which I want to use for True Strike). Or is the Repeat Spell not all that good? I’m also considering switching the first two Feats to a Crusader Maneuver and Stance (Martial Spirit) so I can heal myself a little bit in a party that lacks a good healer.

Since there are three tanks already, I want to opt for a supporting role. Using a reach weapon (glaive) with Combat Reflexes will give me enough opportunities to make Attacks of Opportunity and the reach of the glaive will make it easier for me to use Arcane Channelling.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

The books we're allowed to use are: PHB I & II, all Complete books, Libris Mortis, DMG I & II, Heroes of Battle, Masters of the Wild, Sword and Fist, Song and Silence, Tome of Battle and Tome and Blood.

Remove ads