D&D 4E Duskblades for 4e

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
Over in the Gleemax forums , I was inspired some time ago to start working on a Duskblade class for 4e, based on the class of the same name in the 3.5 PHB2. It went over fairly well over there, because "sword+sorcery" is popular over there, and what with the whole hoopla over the swordmage being in the Forgotten Realms Players Guide... With all this in mind, I have decided that when 4e comes out, I will expand the class to beyond what I have written (1st level rules) all the way through to 30th level.

Anyway, the class as developed thus far will be presented in my next post in this thread. Please, critique, make suggestions, but most of all, enjoy! BTW, I know many things are a bit iffy based on what we know, but I do have the full intent of cross-checking these things to make sure that they are OK when the rules come out.

Xethreau

Duskblade

"My blade and my magic is one and the same."

CLASS TRAITS

Role: Striker. You dart in to attack, do massive damage, and then retreat to safety. You do best when teamed with a defender distract enemies.
Power Source: Arcane. Though you are learned with the sword, your techniques are mystical secrets passed down from master to apprentice
Key Abilities: Intelligence, Strength, Dexterity

Armor Training: Hide, Chain
Weapon Proficiencies: Longword, greatsword, longbow, battleaxe, throwing axe, dagger
Bonus to Defense: +1 Fort, +1 Will

Hit Points at 1st Level: 12 + Constitution score
Hit Points per Level Gained: 5
Healing Surges: 6 + Constitution modifier

Trained Skills: Arcana and Athletics plus two others. From the class skills list below, choose two more trained skills at 1st level.
Class Skills: Arcana (Int), Acrobatics (Dex), Athletics (Str), Dungeoneering (Wis), Endurance (Con), Heal (Wis), Insight (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Perception (Wis)

Build Options: Swift duskblade, delayed-gratification duskblade, punisher duskblade, and sniper duskblade
Class Features: Duskblade Mastery, Duskblade Armor Talent, Arcane Atunement, Arcane Strike

Duskblade Class Features

All duskblades share these class features.

Duskblade Mastery
Duskblades have mastered many methods of practicing their special brand of magic. Some imbue their blades with a spell that makes them more agile than their foe. Others prefer to magically hinder their target's defenses, making him a more suitable foe for himself and his allies. Others still just assume focus all their energies into a single strike, and kill the foe sooner than later. A rare few attempt to expand their art even further, and specialize in channeling their magics through ranged weapons.

Choose one of the following options.

Arcane Agility: You gain a bonus to AC and Reflex Defense equal to your Dexterity modifier against foes you have stricken. You may make a dexterity attack with powers that with the "(Me)" notation.
Spell Penetration: Foes you have stricken take penalty to Defenses and AC equal to your Arcane Strike attack bonus. You may make a intelligence attack with powers that with the "(Me)" notation.
Arcane Brute: You gain a bonus to Arcane Strike damage equal to your strength modifier. You may make a strength attack with powers that with the "(Ra)" notation.
Arcane Archer: Arcane Strike attack and damage bonuses apply when you attack with ranged weapons. (This is not limited to bows.)

The choice you make also provides bonuses to certain duskblade powers. Individual powers detail the effects (if any) your Duskblade Mastery selection has on them.

Duskblade Armor Talent
You do not take penalties to speed from chain armor.

Arcane Atunement
You know one power from the Wizard's class feature Cantrip.

Arcane Strike
Once per turn, you may channel extra arcane energy into your blade as a Minor action. You gain a bonus to attack and damage rolls on your next attack this turn with a melee weapon. These bonuses increase as you advance in level, as shown below. If you have chosen Arcane Agility or Spell Penetration, enemies you hit or damage while Arcane Strike is in effect become stricken, and remain stricken until they are defeated, or the encounter ends.
Code:
Level 	Attack Bonus	Bonus Damage	
1st–10th 	+1	+1d4
11th–20th 	+2	+2d4
21st–30th 	+3	+3d6

Duskblade Powers

Your powers are arcane spells that draw on your blending of wit, agility and strength. Some powers reward a high Dexterity and are well suited for the swift duskblade, some reward being patient and are the perfect choice for a delayed-gratification duskblade, others reward a high Strength and appeal to the punisher duskblade, and others still reward ranged tactics are fitting for sniper duskblades, but you are free to choose any power you like.

Reading the Powers: Some duskblade powers are usable with both melee and ranged weapons, and have a special notation. "(Me)" refers to the ability score you use when using the power with a melee weapon, and "(Ra)" refers to the ability score you use when using the power with a ranged weapon. Several Duskblade Mastery options give you the option of using a different ability score in place of the normal ability score used with melee or ranged weapon. Not all powers have this notation.

Energy Surge
Duskblade Attack 1
With a single utterance, you sheath your weapon in elemental energy.
At Will * Arcane, Weapon (Acid, Cold, Fire, or Lightning)
Standard Action
Melee or Ranged Weapon
Target
: One creature
Attack: Str (Me), or Dex (Ra) vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier damage of one of the following types: Acid, Cold, Fire, or Lightning.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.
Special: This counts as a basic attack. When a power allows you to make a basic attack, you may use this power.

Blade of Frost
Duskblade Attack 1
You imbue your weapon with the ruthless energy of the north, and deliver a strike that numbs enemies to the core.
At Will * Arcane, Cold, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee or Ranged weapon
Target
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier cold damage, and target is slowed until the beginning of your next turn.

Corrosion Cut
Duskblade Attack 1
Your blade drips with acidic liquid, which makes bypassing physical defenses even easier.
At Will * Arcane, Acid, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee or Ranged weapon
Target
Special: You make this attack with a +1 bonus.
Increase the attack bonus to +2 at 21st level.
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier acid damage, and the target takes a -1 penalty to their AC until the beginning of your next turn.
Increase damage to 2[W] + Intelligence modifier and penalty to AC to -2 at 21st level.

Burning Brand
Duskblade Attack 1
You channel the element of fire into your blade, releasing a surge of heat that burns your primary target and also harms another nearby enemy.
At Will * Arcane, Fire, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee Weapon
Target
Attack: Str (Me) vs. AC
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier fire damage, and Intelligence modifier fire damage to another target adjacent to you.

Steely Bolt
Duskblade Attack 1
Your blade conducts the energy of lightning, and is especially useful against ironclad foes.
Encounter * Arcane, Lightning, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee or Ranged weapon
Target
Attack: Str (Me), or Dex (Ra) vs. Reflex
Special: You gain a +4 bonus to this attack roll if the target is wearing metal armor or is largely composed of metal.
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier lightning damage, and target is stunned (save ends).
Arcane Agility: You may teleport a number of spaces equal to your Dexterity modifier.

Blade of Blood
Duskblade Attack 1
With a sacrifice of your own lifeblood, you are able to harm your foe even more.
Encounter * Arcane, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee or Ranged weapon
Target
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier damage.
Arcane Brute: If you are bloodied, deal extra damage equal to your strength modifier.

Piercing Fear
Duskblade Attack 1
You give off a show of arcane might that makes your foes shake in their boots.
Encounter * Arcane, Fear, Weapon
Standard Action
Melee or Ranged weapon
Target
Attack: Str (Me), or Dex (Ra) vs. Will
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier damage, and opponent is immobilized (save ends).
Spell Penetration: Target takes a -2 penalty to attacks and damage rolls (save ends both).

Color Blast
With an incantation that sounds like a short poem, you unleash through your weapon a torrent of multicolored sparks. Your enemy, overwhelmed, takes several steps back.
Encounter * Arcane, Weapon, Illusion
Standard Action
Melee or Ranged weapon
Target
Attack: Str (Me), or Dex (Ra) vs. Will
Hit: 1[W] + Intelligence modifier damage, and you push the target one square.
Arcane Archer: You push the target a number of squares equal to your Intelligence modifier.

Inferno Fissure
Duskblade Attack 1
You slash through the air in a whirlwind of fire as you speak the incantation. Then you strike the earth with your weapon, channeling the fire through it towards the enemies. An infernal breath of fire surges out of the soil under your enemies' feet.
Daily * Arcane, Weapon, Fire
Standard Action
Melee weapon
Ranged 5 Burst 2
Target
: Each creature within burst
Attack: Intelligence or Strength vs. Reflex
Hit: 2[W] + intelligence modifier fire damage, and ongoing 2 fire damage.
Miss: Half of above damage, no ongoing damage.

Diamond Dust
Duskblade Attack 1
You alter your weapon with a silent spell: it becomes crystalline. Slashing at your enemies your enemies, it becomes a tornado of frozen crystal shards.
Daily * Arcane, Weapon, Cold
Standard Action
Melee weapon
Blast 5
Target
: Each creature within blast
Attack: Intelligence or Strength vs. Reflex
Hit: 1[W] + strength modifier damage, and 1[W] + intelligence modifier cold damage and target is slowed (save ends).
Miss: Half of above damage and target is slowed (save ends).

Flash Bolt Combo
Duskblade Attack 1
You strike at the enemy with a lightning bolt and gain advantage on him. The light and the thunder distract him for an instant - and you strike again, fast as a thought.
Daily * Arcane, Weapon, Lightning
Standard Action
Melee or Ranged weapon
Target
Hit: 2[W] + intelligence modifier lightning damage and target is stunned (save ends).
Miss: Target is stunned (save ends).
Special: Make a secondary basic attack against the same target.

Whip of Acid
Duskblade Attack 1
You speak a word and your sword becomes a whip made of acid. You swing at your enemies with it, knowing it will eventually strike true.
Daily * Arcane, Weapon, Acid, Reliable
Reliable
: If you miss with this power, you do not expend its use.
Standard Action
Melee weapon
Ranged 5
Target
Attack: Intelligence or Dexterity vs. Reflex
Hit: 2[W] + intelligence modifier acid damage.

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
My interpretation of the Duskblade was that he was a Fighter+Blow-upper (and a little buffing). In 4e thus that'd be a Defender+Controller.

But I like this.

One thing I really like: depending on what path you take, there are certain powers that are better for those types. That's cool.

Saishu_Heiki

First Post
This is probably the best homebrew 4e class I have seen yet. I suppose the best thing I can say about it is that not only would I play it, but I would not have a problem with my players using it. :)

Ximenes088

First Post
Are you sure you want to make Intelligence such a great stat for the Duskblade?

His armor is invariably Light, which means he can add his Int bonus to his armor class. He can use his Int bonus for all attacks, including basic attacks, and if he picks Arcane Archer he can use it for all ranged attacks as well. He can sell down his Strength and Dexterity with complete impunity, since Int provides everything he needs to hit, damage, and defend. Crank Con and Int, and he's got everything he needs, leavened with a little defense perk to the two defenses he's apt to be stat-weakest in.

Just as a glance, his daily powers also seems to be categorically better than that of the Fighter. Brutal Strike does 3[W]+Strength, but it targets AC and is not a ranged attack. All of the daily powers listed either are ranged or are multi-target that do damage even on a miss.

Xethreau

Rechan, Saishu_Heiki- Thanks for the support guys! :D

Ximenes088- Thanks for the critique. I think that all your points are valid. I think I will change it so that he does not take speed penalties while wearing chain armor, and not just plain "light" (a bit more balanced, IMO.) I might also take Int as an attack stat away from some powers... though I don't really want to. As for everything else involved with Int, I think it is a reasonable thing to allow... probably, anyway. While I admit that Int is obviously the optimal ability choice, I do not think that it is the most "fun" or flavorful choice. Though I do think that Int has an arguably good reason to be the best "general" ability score for duskblades; With higher Int comes the ability to weave more potent spells, and since all his powers are spells, he is made that much more powerful.

Thanks for pointing out the power creep on the dailies. I'll definitely be decreasing the damage on those powers.

Rechan

Adventurer
RyukenAngel said:
While I admit that Int is obviously the optimal ability choice, I do not think that it is the most "fun" or flavorful choice.
When designing something, "Flavor" and "fun" are not a balancing factor for mechanics.

Xethreau

Rechan said:
When designing something, "Flavor" and "fun" are not a balancing factor for mechanics.
*sigh* Too true. Any specific suggestions on how to further nerf Int, anyone?

Saishu_Heiki

First Post
The first thing that comes to mind is to make other abilities more important. This is off-the-cuff, so I can't claim it is viable, or useful. Here it is anyway, though.

Make the attack powers strength for melee, dexterity for ranged. Then make a follow-up rider on them that uses Int to inflict the nasty "duskblade" part of the attack. This way the player still wants a high int to inflict the status/bonus damage, but needs other abilities to make it happen.

Last edited:

Xethreau

Saishu_Heiki said:
The first thing that comes to mind is to make other abilities more important. This is off-the-cuff, so I can't claim it is viable, or useful. Here it is anyway, though.

Make the attack powers strength for melee, dexterity for ranged. Then make a follow-up rider on them that uses Int to inflict the nasty "duskblade" part of the attack. This way the player still wants a high int to inflict the status/bonus damage, but needs other abilities to make it happen.
Interesting, but I am afraid I don't quite follow all the way. Could you show me an example, perhaps transforming one of the powers I have listed into one you have in mind?
-edit-
If it involves making multiple attack rolls for most powers, I would not like to use this method.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases