D&D General Dwarven Forge New Set

jgsugden

Legend
...I was really excited for this KS but the first thing I thought when looking through the pledge levels was "it's time to get a 3D printer."
When it comes to outdoor terrain, there are much, much, much cheaper options that do not require 3D print and paint.

Model train terrain, for example, can give you 6 in tall trees, etc... I am going to take a good look at the forest set from this KS and try to replicate a cheap equivalent just for the fun of it.

GlassJaw

Hero
When it comes to outdoor terrain, there are much, much, much cheaper options that do not require 3D print and paint.

Model train terrain, for example, can give you 6 in tall trees, etc... I am going to take a good look at the forest set from this KS and try to replicate a cheap equivalent just for the fun of it.

Oh no question. I have a bunch myself.

My point was that the DF target market is the whales. They are not interested in catering to the mid-tier customer: creating sets and add-ons for those that have a budget of $100-500. What you get for that budget is minuscule.

You are FAR better off investing that money in a 3D printer. The best bang for the buck is mix of buying premade model terrain, making your own, and 3D printing. There are some DF sets I'd still like to pick up from their store but I won't be backing their Kickstarters anymore.

jgsugden

Legend
... There are some DF sets I'd still like to pick up from their store but I won't be backing their Kickstarters anymore.
I bought their first KS in the secondary market, their second from the KS, and a small amount of their fourth reluctantly due to the price, but have not participated in any others. However, I have KS backed 4 other terrain KS that were equivalent in price to the first KS (or cheaper). One of them has only partially delivered and we're several years into it, while the other three were great experiences. I can now cover my entire table in materials, so I do not feel a need to buy more dungeon settings, but I am still looking to improve my town and wilderness options which are about half complete, each.

GlassJaw

Hero
I bought their first KS in the secondary market, their second from the KS, and a small amount of their fourth reluctantly due to the price, but have not participated in any others. However, I have KS backed 4 other terrain KS that were equivalent in price to the first KS (or cheaper). One of them has only partially delivered and we're several years into it, while the other three were great experiences. I can now cover my entire table in materials, so I do not feel a need to buy more dungeon settings, but I am still looking to improve my town and wilderness options which are about half complete, each.

Out of curiosity, what others have you backed?

I backed Terrain Crate and their stuff is awesome. Great bang for the buck. And although technically not terrain (although they have had more pieces lately), the Reaper Bones KS have been great.

jgsugden

Legend
I bought some terrain crate at a ding and dent.

I bought Oblivion / Modular Underground. They are several years late in delivery of the second half of my order. Still, in terms of square footage per dollar, this was a cheap option and it plays well with my dwarven forge. Slight contruction and quick and easy painting required.

Dungeons and Lasers is a lot of fiddly construction, but it is cheap and has a variety of designs. I am still putting it together, slowly, and it was delivered months ago.

Path of Osiris from Lunesdargent Workshop was a special buy for me as I have a lot of Egyptian inspired ruins in my campaign world.

Adventurescapes was another purchase, although the paint ended up a bit tacky and sticks.

I've also bought a few battle map KS which are used for travel and for undermats beneath a battle setting. I bought the book series from BattleMats , as well as some vinyl battlemats about 5 years ago from someone that underestimated his costs and kept asking for more money or reducing the quality … but eventually delivered a decent product at a fair price.

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I decided to make my own. I bought a Hotwire table and some rollers. I cut foam walls, rolled brick texture on them and than painted.

I can fill a 6’ x 4’ sand table with dungeon walls.

that being said, I need to find a good solution for curved passages.

i purchased tons of plastic furniture treasure etc from mantic for the dungeon.

for trees, I bought lots of small Christmas sets. I have about 150 trees. i spray painted them appropriate colors.

I have a dungeon mat and grass mat which is 6’ x 4’ which fills my table. I fantasize about spending thousands on dwarves forge but what I have is not bad.

they sort of priced me out! I will attach a sample of the homemade walls.
5953022C-63B7-49A8-B8D3-13CC7D240AC4.jpeg

Attachments

• 4DC27ED9-D213-4AEE-B3DE-E1A2F1B85E8B.jpeg
    4DC27ED9-D213-4AEE-B3DE-E1A2F1B85E8B.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 239
  • 35D0E1C8-BAB3-4293-BA33-8B2062845D20.jpeg
    35D0E1C8-BAB3-4293-BA33-8B2062845D20.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 231
Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Complete BS prices. I am amazed by how much people shell out for minis or terrain nowadays. There are some companies that charge way better prices for material, and are simply great deals when you get older products. I bought C'Mon Games "Green Horde" box on Amazon for about $50 and got a box of 6 PCs and 65 zombies (5 different sculpts).

Stormonu

Legend
I picked up a lot of dwarven forge in the late '90s, early '00 - last was the painted cavern set. Stuff is beautiful and durable, but a hassle to try and use it anywhere other than home - I gave up taking it to Cons years ago when I had to start packing a hand cart to lug it around (I kept mine in the foam packing it came in).

I really like the looks of the wilderness stuff, but it's out of the price range even for me. And of course, with Covid I have no idea when I'd get some face-to-face gaming in again.

Remove ads