• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dwarves

Thanee

First Post
What do you think about the following change to the dwarf in 3.5?

-2 Dexterity.
Endurance as a racial bonus feat.

Bye
Thanee

Darklone

You mean, additionally to the -2 to Charisma (Int, Wis for subraces)?

I guess it's a good idea... but then noone will play dwarves anymore.

I'd use the stat adjustments as +2 Con, -2 Dex simply.

Thanee

First Post
Yes, of course in addition.

I think it's pretty much universally accepted, that dwarves are a bit too good in 3.5.

Bye
Thanee

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Thanee said:

I think it's pretty much universally accepted, that dwarves are a bit too good in 3.5.

Not by me. Of course, for game design reasons, I don't give then WF(dwarven waraxe).

Sniktch

First Post
I think thats fine, but I wouldn't want to trade 2 Dex for Endourance (even the 3.5 Endurance). My group still favors humans for the extra feat, skill points, and option of favored class, but maybe thats just us.

I dropped WF across the board, and added a feat that lets a race gain proficiency with all racially named exotic wepons (pertinent to their race, so a dwarf would gain the waraxe, urgrosh, etc)

Nellisir

Hero
Thanee said:
Bye
Thanee

Further proof of my extra-universal origin. ;-)

I don't think dwarves are too good, but I hadn't given it alot of thought, either.

That said, a -2 penalty to Dex is pretty harsh. Dex potentially affects more classes than any other ability score. You're talking a -1 to AC, a -1 to Reflex saves, a -1 to every Dex-related skill (tough on rogues), less use out of Weapon Finesse....

If it's just to tone down dwarves, I'd suggest taking something they have away, rather than adding a bonus and a penalty at the same time. If it's to reflect a campaign philosophy (Thanee dwarves are tougher, but less agile and less charming) it might work, but I'd expect a skew away from unarmored or light armored characters (no more dwarven locksmiths or swashbucklers). If that's OK, then that's OK. ;)

Hope that's helpful,
Nell.

shoes

First Post
Darklone said:
I guess it's a good idea... but then noone will play dwarves anymore.

HA! I beat you there! I love playing dwarves all the time. They can be a loyal-hard-working-protector than any nature-loving-sissy ELF can be!

LOL

No, in all seriousness, personally I think dwarves are overpowered as is. Maybe not enough for a level adjustment, but are one of the most powerful races in the Player's Handbook. By adding a feat (which they pretty much excel at already with toughness and stamina bonuses) and only a -2 Dex, eh... but as Nellisir said, for campaign purposes it might work, but I think you might want to really think about it before you do such a change like that.

And for the record, personally I think no one plays gnomes anymore. Haven't seen a single person play one yet. But thats only in my groups...

nikolai

First Post
I think Dwarves are too good. In many cases there are very powerful. I like the idea of switching the -2 Cha for a -2 Dex instead. I think this: (a) prevents a dump stat being used to boost a very important stat; (b) is in keeping with the popular image of Dwarves - sturdy and tough, but not very quick; and (c) A minus to Cha doesn't make sense, in 3e Charisma is more force of personality than how pretty you are, I can't see why Dwarves wouldn't have strong personalities.

Nellisir

Hero
nikolai said:
I think Dwarves are too good. In many cases there are very powerful. I like the idea of switching the -2 Cha for a -2 Dex instead.

I also thinking switching the -2 Cha for the -2 Dex would be acceptable, and bring the class closer in to balance. Adding the Dex penalty to the Cha penalty, however, is still a little harsh.

Cheers
Nell.

Remove ads