• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dynamic Excel "Wiesbaden Charactersheet" D&D (v1.11)

Guess to avoid this issue in teh future we will switch to a version where you only see thename of the ability bonus. What do you think?
Yep, that's exactly what my fix does and it works fine at least in my very limited testing (Excel 2003).

Also, in English, I think "Bonus Damage Ability" makes a little more sense. (Or Ability Bonus Damage works about as well, take a poll here or something.)

Last edited:

I made the changes I described above to accomodate changing attribute values. I also updated the sheet to allow [W] in a damage dice expression. This works as follows:
1: You must have a weapon associated with the chosen attack bonus (see also point 3 below).
2: That weapon must be one listed in the PHB with its correct damage value. (This wouldn't be that hard to change later to allow custom weapons.)
3: The Damage Dice row in the Attacks sheet is parsed for x[W] and multiplies that out, so for example, 4[W] where [W] is 2d6 becomes 8d6. If the "weapon" you have chosen for that attack is something without damage (like a Holy Symbol) or if you did not choose a weapon for that attack bonus, the expression will come through as x[W] instead with no replacement, allowing you to do the math.
4: If the Damage Dice row contains an expression like 2d4 (say, for Magic Missile), then no replacement is done because there is no weapon.

I have not tested this in OpenOffice. In fact, the only testing I've done is on Excel 2003.

I can't just give you the formula to place in the damage row because it was getting so ugly and complicated that I needed to do intermediate calculations in another sheet (to the author: I used Transport Attack for this).

So have at it. To the author: I retain no rights to this work and provide it freely to you. Enjoy. :)

Last edited:

Stormhound

Explorer
One pseudo-solution to the yellow background color, since I was (one of?) the ones to complain about it...

Instead of a solid yellow color, perhaps make it a colored outline? That way, people can still see something when editing (i.e. red box = editable) but it doesn't drink ink when printing.

Unprotect any sheet to see the formulas being used. Some calculations are done in intermediate sheets, which are hidden. If you're not proficient with Excel, it's not going to be especially easy, since a lot of the formulas get involved quickly. I thought it would be trivial to get it to parse damage dice for [W] and replace it ... and that took about 2-3 hours, and I'm very experienced in Excel programming. Adding a powers page to populate the attacks page for you (which is what everyone wants to do) is probably not too bad, although you'll either have to ditch and replace the entire attack bonus section or manually specify it for each power, since trying to figure out which attack bonus is based on which attribute would not be a pretty calculation, and you could have multiple, for example if you have two different magic weapons.

James McMurray

First Post
Thanks!

I'm not looking to do anything too major. I've got a powers sheet / reference I use already that I want to automate as much as possible. I'll mostly just be using skill modifiers, defense, and the like. Those were easy to find, but if possible I'd like to at least have the names of the powers automated. If not, I can always cut and paste. :)

Arbanax

First Post
Is their a faq or something for this sheet, I have tried working through the example sheet on the warlord but when it comes to filling out the section on attacks I don't get the desired outcome at the end. Its clear to me that filling it in isn't so clear...I seem to keep getting stuck on this part.

Also where do you fill in things like Channel Divinity for the cleric? I am trying to update the free characters that came with the Worldwide D&D day but so far I'm just not getting it. Excel newb I'm afraid.

Thanks

Ab

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads