D&D General E. Gary Gygax auction Nov 2023

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd be comfortable with a modest wager that you're the closest Conan-analogue among ENWorld's regular posters. Albeit I get that you're older than Conan was in his prime. :)

Yup. Hair color/eye color a cliche nerd nitpick. For my money the flower children exterior of the serpent cult was topical and plausible, referencing both the Manson Family and how other cults often have a fluffy external face. One can criticize various points of the movie, especially the relatively wooden or exaggerated acting by most of the cast (Jones and von Sydow excepted!), but it's still an unreasonably beautiful B movie. With one of the greatest film scores of all time (running through my head right now).
Oh, yeah, I think the movie is pretty awesome, and it holds up well. I'm just engaged in an exercise sympathy for a cranky ol' nerd who was annoyed. His complaints are hardly random, and make sense considering his background and experiences.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
OK, looking into it, Gygax didn't have a big problem with Schwarzenegger other than Schwarzenegger having brown hair instead of black. He was grouchy about, inter alia:
<SNIP>
  • excessive sex and violence (basically, being an Italian movie)
Uh, having fairly recently read a compilation of all the Conan novels, this seems to be a weird complaint. If anything, the movie is toned down. Not a single person remarked on Conan's impressive, glistening thews. ;-)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
<SNIP>

Uh, having fairly recently read a compilation of all the Conan novels, this seems to be a weird complaint. If anything, the movie is toned down. Not a single person remarked on Conan's impressive, glistening thews. ;-)
I don't disagree, raised my eyebrow a bit at thst, particularly also considering what TSR was putting on book covers in the 1980's. But, the movie does get a bit gratuitous, particularly near the beginning.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
"Hey, here's an auction from Gary's private collection, including manuscripts of iconic books!"
"Great, now let's talk about the height/weight stats of Conan for pages instead!"

:p (Yes, I know I'm guilty).
It bumps the OP up the forum.

What should we do, discuss the merits of war Rafts of Kron?

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
It bumps the OP up the forum.

What should we do, discuss the merits of war Rafts of Kron?
But…but…just look at the glorious maps of rafts!

1700259718044.jpeg

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
Heroes Challenge Sagard Ice Dragon Postcard 1985
Has anyone here read any of the Sagard the Barbarian books Gary wrote with Flint Dille?

Are they basically higher-fantasy Conan pastiches? Kind of like how Gord the Rogue and his barbarian buddy Chert (another name for Flint) are D&D fantasy pastiches of Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser?

Remove ads