• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E-Tools: How to...

DPGDarrin

First Post
I'm starting this thread so that we can collectively come up with workarounds for some common E-tools issues. I'm going to start off with how to make a template. If anybody else has any workarounds, please post to this thread.

I believe that despite its limitations, E-tools is a good tool that will likely improve over time.

** I tried to post this to Fluid's boards, but they don't seem to be working.

DPGDarrin

First Post
How to make a template

First off, I think I see why they didn't bother to do templates in E-tools. This program essentially already has a templates function called races. The problem with Monster Manual templates is that they basically add one race to another. Since the program doesn't allow for this, the only way to create a character using a template is to create a new custome race. This really doesn't take all that long. I've already done this for a human lich and an elven lich. It would be easy enough to do this for the main PC races, but it could get complex when trying to create a monstrous lich.

The easiest way to go about this is to start by entering in the type of creature it is (undead for example), the filling in all the fields with human specific data. Once the human has been added to the race creator, then add in the information for the template. With most templates, skills, feats, qualities, etc. stack on top of what the original race had. When you're finished, save the file as (template name), human. Then, when you need that template for a different race, just go back into the template you have already created, remove the human specific stuff (like the 1 extra feat at level 1), add the race specific items, and then save the file under a new name.

Once you have created this race, copy the file from your "user" folder and paste it to your "Core" then "Races" folder. The reason you do this is to avoid the game crashing when trying to create a "random" NPC using the new race. Once copied over to the folder with all the stock races, the program will be able to use this without crashing.

Things you should know:

When creating a race, the base number entered into the abilities field is 10. Therefore, a human character will have all 10's entered in for abilities. A race requiring a modifier of some kind adds or subtracts that from 10. A race that has a +2 racial bonus to strength would enter that in as a 12.

Hit points will not calculate correctly. Maybe I still haven't figured out how to do this right, but the program seem to want to add in the proper class hit die instead of the type hit die. Since this is the case, a 15th level human lich will have 15D4 for hit die instead of 15D12. This is easy enough to correct however. Since this character is most likely going to be exported to a stat block and then copied to a word processing document anyway, the easiest thing to do is delete the number that is generated in the final output and then make it what you would prefer it to be. If you would rather the number be random, you can always have the dice roller take care of that for you.

That's it!

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Darrin you should read some of the posts over at the fluid boards, i know the board is a pain to read, but it is enlightening...

The problem with this work around is that your doing a lot of work that should actually be done by a program that costs $30, but i think that's a rant for another thread...

Remove ads