[e-tools] Please credit sources

Brown Jenkin

First Post
After a heated discussion on my previous thread here on file type discrimination I have learned a few more things on copyright law.

While apparently WotC is at least tacitly supporting the entering and distribution of WotC non-SRD sources please remember that you are doing this at their discretion. All of this information still belongs to them. Please at least be kind enough to always credit the original authors of any work you are distributing. This laxity in enforcement of their rights will not last forever, but it might last longer if everything is given proper credit.

As was also brought up in another thread as well, if you are just redistributing someone elses files please give credit to the person who originally went to the trouble of entering the data as well.

Davin's program does apparently allow for such information to be included somewhere. Hopefully he will respond and share will all how to do this.

Ranger One

First Post
A very good point. I'll step up for Davin for a moment. He has a spot that is very much like a foreword when creating files for export with ETHelper. I believe this would be a perfect place to mention credits, as well as a brief description of what your files include.

smetzger

Explorer
If its completly OGC material why don't you go ahead and make it completly legal. All you would have to do is make a note that all the material in the file is Open Game Content, include the OGL, update section 15 of the OGL with the name of the particular copyright holder, and then if you wish you could even add you own name under section 15 indicating that you are the creator of the file.

If the material is not completly OGC you should at least credit the copyright holder, and then I would suggest also adding a note saying that it is used without permission.

Remove ads