• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

E-Tools question of sources

Davin

First Post
Brown Jenkin said:
I think what Smetzger was refering to was not that WotC gives special treatment to thier own books but that ENWorld is giving special treatment to e-tools over PCGen.

ENworld shut down a PCgen thread because copyrighted material might be distributed. I was wondering then since ENWorld is providing a link to some e-tools sites whether these had been cleared as ok somehow.
I think you should quit making assumptions (and jumping to conclusions) about what people do -- in particular about whether or not their actions are "approved" in some way. Unless otherwise stated, odds are always strongly against anything of the sort. I just think you're trying to read way too much into things.

BTW, were I to guess, I'd say that PCGen info was most likely deleted at their request, and not to snub them in some way.

I seem to recall hearing from your direction these same arguments/comments (from different perspectives) over and over again, so it sounds to me like you're beating a dead horse.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't have time to "vet" every news item for legality, and I'm no lawyer anyway. So some things may slip through, others I may catch. There's certainly no issue of "special treatment" - I have no connection with Heroforge, or with WotC.

As for having these things on the main news page - well, if it isn't legal, submitting it as a news item is just plain suicidal. A couple of times, I've reported the existence of something and found out that WotC had contacted the person in question within a day of my posting the news item.

So, folks, if you are doing something illegal, submitting it may get past me if I'm not on the ball, but the chances of it being seen by someone who matters is pretty high.

In this case, I imagine Kenzer don't mind, because between the news page and the posts on Kenzer's own boards, I'm pretty sure they've heard about this.

Last edited:

Mynex

First Post
Davin said:
BTW, were I to guess, I'd say that PCGen info was most likely deleted at their request, and not to snub them in some way.

Correct... we have asked Morrus & Staff, and they have kindly agreed, that any thread asking for, or posting links to, any materials removed from PCGen by publisher request be killed.

People might not like that fact, but there it is. We _are_ actively working and negotiating with WotC to get permission for all their stuff, and things are proceeding... it just takes time when dealing with any corporation, and threads/links like that do not aid our cause... sure we don't _have_ to do so, and Morrus & staff certainly don't... but it is a courtesy thing, a bargaining in good faith thing, and in general, just the smart thing to do.

Hopefully we can get it resolved quickly... it would be a nice x-mas present I think. :)

Remove ads