E6: The Game Inside D&D (new revision)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
I'm kinda puzzled by these attempts to break the level 6 ceiling (4th level spell slots, feats to increase skill rank caps, Improved Critical, large Wildshape, etc.) If you want to get access to level 7 or 8 abilities, allow level advancement at long intervals. If you are going to take away the most distinctive feature of E6 (a hard level limit), then why not be straightforward about it?

Ry

Explorer
Well, the argument that's rolling around in my head goes like this:

6th plus a bunch of feats is more powerful than 6th. Some class features that are slightly above the cutoff match with the power level of E6, but help by adding definition to some classes in a way that doesn't pop the top off of the power level.

Again, this is stuff rolling around in my mind.

Shazman

Banned
Banned
These adjustments would be necessary for a long term E6 campaign that has the characters facing increasingly difficult challenges. Eventually, standard feats aren't going to cut it. They will need feats that duplictate some (not all) higher level class abilities to prevail or the campaign will fall apart.

Kunimatyu

First Post
green slime said:
Rycanada was talking about "for metmagic purposes", which I assume to mean the ability to cast an enlarged fireball, as opposed to actually gaining any real 4th level spells...

That might work, though I think that the Sudden feats, plus (maybe) an Extra Sudden Spell that granted one additional use from the Sudden feat of your choice would be the best way to do it.

After thinking about it some more (though this is WAY house-rule territory), I think I'd allow a druid to transform into certain animals, but I'd do it via spells, so a 3rd level spell might allow a druid to transform into a Dire Wolf. I wouldn't allow spellcasting in this alternate forms, and the forms would be using the new polymorph subschool (ie. flip open the Monster Manual and use that creature's stats exactly), so that would probably decrease the power enough to allow some nice combat forms.

Kunimatyu

First Post
Shazman said:
These adjustments would be necessary for a long term E6 campaign that has the characters facing increasingly difficult challenges. Eventually, standard feats aren't going to cut it. They will need feats that duplictate some (not all) higher level class abilities to prevail or the campaign will fall apart.

What class abilities would those be? Most classes have gotten most of their unique powers by 5th level, and everything after that is merely additional uses (also granted by feats) or minor ability tweaks that aren't that useful.

Beyond 4th level spells, which start tilting the spellcaster-mundane balance, I'm not sure what really makes the difference here.

Ry

Explorer
Shazman said:

I wouldn't say "fall apart" - I'd say there's room to manoeuvre in terms of what you allow.

I like the idea of a feat for 6th level druids where you choose 1 Large animal that you can wildshape into.

RigaMortus2

First Post
I just read the first couple pages, and I think the theory behind this E6 idea. So I had some thoughts (perhaps others had already mentioned them)...

1) I've been playing with max hit points per level for some time now. I wonder if E6 would be unbalanced if I did the same?

2) Perhaps a choice at each level after 6th. At each 5,000xp after 6th level, you can choose one of the following:
(a) A bonus feat you meet the prereqs for
(b) +1 BAB
(c) 1 Hit Dice woth of hit points (in my case, it would be max hit points)
(d) Gain class abilities as if you gained an additional level in a class. In other words, if you were a 6th level Rogue, and you selected this option, you would get the class abilities of a 7th level Rogue (+4d6 sneak attack), but nothing else.

Thoughts?

A question though... What happens to skills? These don't seem to improve beyond 6th level. Is that a problem?

Ry

Explorer
Hi Rigamortis! Check out the FAQ in the E6 .pdf (hosted at the OGC E6 wiki)

1) I think max HP works fine
2) I'm not for these (except a of course) because IMO it allows everything out of D&D. The big thing with E6 is that some things don't get in. Unless you were thinking these could only be taken once, in which case it's the Lean Upward approach (again, see the faq in the .pdf)

A question for the regulars: How often do you game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases