E6: The Game Inside D&D

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight_isa

First Post
wolfpunk said:
Probably just need more feats that require weapon specialization. Maybe I should write a PDF for E6 fighters.

Requiring Weapon Specialization isn't enough, though. That just requires fighter-4.

I've been thinking about it, and really, the only reasons to stick with fighter past 4th are the high number of feats and the higher level fighter-only feats. When you stop at 6th, and everyone eventually gets lots of feats, that negates both of those reasons. After fighter-4, you'd become a better "fighter" by multiclassing into one or more of the many full BAB classes.

I think I'll be going with E8 since I think my sweet spot is a bit higher than 6th, and the presence of Greater Weapon Focus mitigates that issue for me somewhat. It would be nice to see more Fighter-only feats though.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
hmm going off on a tangent -
unless you slow down xp gain as well, then the world have everyone and their mom at 6th level. But slowing down advancement means less leveling up fun for characters.
If I was to run a campaign that concentrated on a low levels, cutting xp gained to 1/2 and then each character gaining a feat at 1/2 way to the next level. this further devalues the fighter by giving everyone lots of feats up front. But everyone not playing a fighter might have more fun with it.

The problem with running E6 as a one shot (which I considered doing) is that its uniqueness is in the structure of the campaign world, and in general advancement, otherwise the limitations are no more than many normally found in one shots.

Another solution that would encourage single classing all Warrior types would be to withhold +6 BAB for all multi-classed warriors. (or require spending 10k to gain the last point.)

phindar

First Post
There's a lot you can do to fix Fighters under E6, but it seems like at that point we're making a new class just to preserve the name "Fighter". There's already a ton of base classes who fight, and the Fighter is still a good choice for a character that needs feats but doesn't plan to go Epic.

Let only single class fighters be able to qualify for feats beyond the 6 level limit, greater weapon focus, greater weapon spec., improved X etc.

Not sure it's enough, but it's a start.

Aage

First Post
phindar said:
There's a lot you can do to fix Fighters under E6, but it seems like at that point we're making a new class just to preserve the name "Fighter". There's already a ton of base classes who fight, and the Fighter is still a good choice for a character that needs feats but doesn't plan to go Epic.

Word! :p

No, but seriously, I agree actually. Saving the fighter because of his name is rather silly, and the fact of the matter is that any character that heavily depends on bonus feats (fighter, and psychic warrior to a lesser extent) will be significantly hampered in E6. For the fighter the fix is simple, Warblade. The psychic warrior on the other concerns me more, since there isn't really anything similar that could easily take its place (well, not for me at least, I don't use regular magic, just psionics).

Ah, well... Multiclassing will have to do, I guess ;)

Ry

Explorer
You don't have to get a splat book to play a fighter. You don't even need to fix the fighter. I don't fix the fighter, and my game runs fine, and it's still used. The fighter's weaknesses aren't so severe that it's not a viable PC. Some players will still take it because they want to be 4 feats ahead in some nifty feat chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads