• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Ease of converting monsters from 3.5 to 4

danir

Explorer
After seeing the pitfiend 4e statblock, it seems to me that converting monsters from 3e is feasible and might actually be not that hard to do.

Change CR -> XP (easy)
Initiative -> New init (easy, saga rules)
Senses -> just copy paste, add skill
Aura -> the same
HP -> seems the same scale (bloodied, just half HP)
Resist -> seems tha same
AC -> similar (SAGA). for other saving throws, either just make it static (+15 = 25) and adjust by role of thumb.
Speed -> similar/same
AP -> completly new, but can disregard... or use rule of thumb (the mechanics itself are not clear to me atm)
Attacks -> rewrite to new format, but the same prinicple
Abilites -> rewrite to new format, but the same prinicple
The rest is also easy to-do.

So, after a first glance, It might be possible to use 3E monsters as is with a few minutes work, or even adjusting on the fly.

Did I miss anything?

Note - I'm not talking about rebuilding from scratch, which will probably require selecting the level/role/etc and generate stats. Just a rough one for one conversion.

Lizard

Explorer
I think that, based on the pit fiend, if you converted over from 3e, creatures would be far too powerful and have too many abilities to fit the 4e model. I do not think mechanistic conversion of any but the simplest monsters will be possible; anything with a lot of powers, special attacks, spell-like abilities, etc, will need to be effectively re-imagined.

Lizard said:
I think that, based on the pit fiend, if you converted over from 3e, creatures would be far too powerful and have too many abilities to fit the 4e model. I do not think mechanistic conversion of any but the simplest monsters will be possible; anything with a lot of powers, special attacks, spell-like abilities, etc, will need to be effectively re-imagined.
The number of abilities available to a monster can be changed as you see fit. The 4E design will tend to give around 5 abilities per monster, but that does't mean more or less will break the system. You probably wouldn't give good ratings if you put a 4E monster manual with monsters overloaded with such abilities, but for your home table, who cares? :)

The real problem is that most of the monsters base statistics can't be converted, because the design assumptions work differently.

I think its best to take a 3rd edition monster and identify its major "shticks".
1. What level range is it set in? Translate this to the right tier and monster level for 4E (or change as you would prefer - maybe you always wanted Gargoyles to be a high level challenge?)
2. What role does it usually fuflill? Is it mobile? Does it fight with weapons or brute force? Ranged or Melee? Spellcaster? Translate this into a D&D 4 monster role.
3. Does it fight in large groups (minion?) or more alone (elite, solo?)
4. Pick the suggested base statistics from the guidlines for monsters that fit 1 & 2.
5. What's its special tricks? Can it spray webs? Induce poison? Can it teleport? Is it fire-related? Does it fly? Does it summon beasts? Does it regenerate? Does it live in water?
Add level appropriate abilties signifiyng these tricks. The "heavier" (minion -> solo scale), the more abilities related to its core abilties should be added.
6. Adjust for personal preferences, like picking some skills that were used by its 3.x original and seemed to be critical for it, or giving it slightly more hps in exchange for a lower damage output or something like that.

Counterspin

First Post
I fail to see what a 3e monster having more abilities than a 4e monster has to do with conversion at all. Just convert all the abilities, or if you like, drop the ones you're not going to use.

Remove ads