easing monk alignment or multiclass restrictions?

gnomeking

First Post
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone had tried allowing monks to more freely multiclass. IMC we don't use prestige classes or splat books, and it seems like a monk/rogue (for example) would make an effective "ninja" Similarly, a monk/sor specializing in touch spells (which in-game would represent manifestations of her mastery of ki energy). Does anyone have any thoughts on this, especially in regard to balance issues?

On a side note, has anyone tinkered with the monk as written in the phb to give it some variety? I was thinking specifically of replacing certain virtual feats with others depending on what sort of martial art the monk used (the setting is pseudo-asian). The search function is disabled, so any links would be appreciated.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Have a look at Oriental Adventures.
It modifies monks so they can multi-class, and allows some of their feats to be swapped for other martial arts feats.

Geoff.

EOL

First Post
When 3e was put together the designers mentioned that the paladin and monk multi-classing restriction was a flavor issue, not a game balance issue. So loosening the multi-class restrictions would not seriously affect the play of the game.

Psion

Adventurer
I personally expand the multiclass options for both, and has already been mentioned, OA chucks them entirely. This could easily qualify as the most common house rule.

Remove ads