East Coast USA by Railway

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of journeying across the North-East corner of the USA by rail. Apparently you can get a rail pass that can take you from Boston to Washington.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of travelling by rail in the US, or heard anything about it? What are the trains like, what's the reliability, how often...etc etc.

All info gratefully received!

Zander

Explorer
Hello, Matt ;)

A long time ago, I went between New York City and Baltimore, Maryland by train. I think the service was called the Metroliner. The ride was pleasant enough. The seats were very wide compared to our trains, and comfy too. But it wasn't particularly scenic.

I've been to Boston, Mass and New Hampshire but not by train.

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Zander said:
A long time ago, I went between New York City and Baltimore, Maryland by train. I think the service was called the Metroliner. The ride was pleasant enough. The seats were very wide compared to our trains, and comfy too. But it wasn't particularly scenic.

The seats are wider because we tend to be wider here in the States... :uhoh:

:lol:

I had the great pleasure of meeting Zander when he came to NYC - was it really that long ago? Tempus fugit...

BTW, yes, it is Amtrak's Metroliner you're thinking of.

And to return the compliment, I had a very pleasant British railway experience from London to Manchester and back in the early 90s. Beautiful countryside. :)

Tallarn, if you and your wife do decide to take this trip, let us know and we'll arrange a meetup in New York City at one of the game stores. :)

drothgery

First Post
Tallarn said:
My wife and I have been kicking around the idea of journeying across the North-East corner of the USA by rail. Apparently you can get a rail pass that can take you from Boston to Washington.

FWIW, that's pretty much the only part of the country where it isn't much cheaper and much faster to rent a car or fly.

kenobi65

First Post
drothgery said:
FWIW, that's pretty much the only part of the country where it isn't much cheaper and much faster to rent a car or fly.

Yup; the "Northeast Corridor" Amtrak service is pretty good. It gets well-funded, is well-maintained, is very fast, and reasonably reliable.

In the rest of the country, Amtrak service is kind of a crapshoot. Amtrak leases time on freight railway tracks in most other places, and interference from freight trains frequently causes delays. There are certainly some scenic stretches on some routes, but a lot of it isn't terribly scenic. If you want a private room (especially nice if you're going to be overnighting on the train), it's usually an arm and a leg.

A little more background for the original poster: in the U.S., passenger trains used to be run by the individual (privately-owned) raliroads. In the early 1970s, many of the railroads were facing bankruptcy, and none of them were making any money running passenger trains, so the federal government created Amtrak, to continue national passenger train service. Amtrak has been a political football ever since its inception, and, as noted above, other than the Northeast Corridor, and a few other selected routes, it's not particularly well-used.

Beyond Amtrak, the only other passenger railroads in the U.S. are either commuter railroads (generally publically-owned, providing service to/from big cities from their suburbs), or tourist railroads (usually operating over fairly short stretches, often in scenic areas).

Last edited:

I use Amtrak a lot on the East Coast, and it's pretty good from DC up. They do share track space, and have some annoyingly inexplicable delays sometimes, but for the most part, it's pretty convenient and comfortable. It's still usually cheaper to fly, though, if you're going to the major hubs.

It isn't European rail by any stretch of the imagination, but if you are staying within the North-East, you will get reliable service...for the most part. :D

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
Rodrigo Istalindir said:
I use Amtrak a lot on the East Coast, and it's pretty good from DC up. They do share track space, and have some annoyingly inexplicable delays sometimes, but for the most part, it's pretty convenient and comfortable. It's still usually cheaper to fly, though, if you're going to the major hubs.

It is, however, better for the environment to go by train. Plus, the journey is part of the fun.

Thanks for the offer to meet up! If we do do it, I'll be putting it up here and would love to have lunch (or dinner, probably) with as many people as possible.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
If you're in Boston, it'd be great to meet up.

The problem with NE rail is that it just isn't near as scenic as rail travel elsewhere in the country. You can get a Greyhound bus from New York to Boston for $20, FAR less than a train, and it'll be faster. I took the train quite a lot when I was younger, but it holds less appeal for me now.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases