• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Eberron] What Lurks Below (IC)

taitzu52

First Post
Seeing little opportunity to fire on his opponents without endangering the halfling, Jeth'bar slings his bow, and pulls loose his longsword, holding his ground.

(OOC- I can do both, right? Sorry, by bow is 80% of my equipment cost, I'm NOT dropping it in the mud in our first combat. Heheh.)

P0L

Explorer
Ignoring the various bleeding stabs, Kort keeps swinging Foecleaver, trying to down the uninjured opponent.

ooc:
power attack 2
+7 melee 1d10+10 (use AD if I miss)
(DM, I lost track of initiative, postions, and even round.....-must be the rage ;) )

The Baron

First Post
Tykri follows Gedward but moves faster, reaching a flanking position behind the uninjured shifter. Her movement is quick and fluid as she brings her shortsword underneath her opponent's arm, finding a place between the ribs, jabbing deep into the shifter's chest. He screams out in pain and seems about to collapse.

The mage reloads his crossbow, then fires off the bolt towards the melee. The bolt hits its mark, driving through the screaming shifters head, and dropping him to the ground, silent.

The halfling, seeing his faced opponent fall to his companions' blows, wheels around and brings his sword back against the foe he already hit. But, yet again, the halfling's raging, hurling swings miss their target, catching nothing but raindrops.

The ranger slips his bow onto his back and pulls out his longsword as he dashes forward towards the melee, bearing down on the only shifter still standing. His cuts deep along his targets backside, revealing muscle and bone, as the leather armor splits. The last shifter falls to the ground silent. Jeth'bar, however, realizes something is wrong about the way the shifter fought and fell... Something familiar... The way the cut went in... The way his opponent was standing, how his feet shifted... These were not shifters. These were humans.

Jeth'bar reaches down to his fallen opponent's face and yanks off a bushy sideburn. A disguise. And not a very good one at that.

Dormon takes off after the retreating "shifter," but he is quicker, having longer legs, and soon dissappears into the darkness.

Jannis groans as Dormon returns to the much quieter - but stil soaking wet - scene. Jannis manages to weakly shift his body around so he can be on his back.

Another noise is heard near the mage. It appears the the sleeping "shifter" is beginning to wake up.

OOC:
end of combat
Tykri - atk1 = 18(hit) for 6 damage and 5 sneak attack damage
Kennith(curruntly under my control) - atk1 = 18(hit) for 8 damage
Kort - atk1 = 3(miss) sorry for the bad rolls! just blame it on the rage. :)
Jeth'bar - atk1 = 8(hit) for 6 damage
xp = each player awarded 200 xp

Krug

Newshound
"Something is suspicious here. Hmm framing Shifters? As if we don't have a bad enough name..." Tykri says, starting to search the corpses for loot if there are no more targets to attack. She looks to the woods, making sure the escaping shifter didn't get reinforcements. She considers giving chase but it appears they might already have a prisoner to get information from.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Dormon scratches his head, "They're not shifter? How odd... do you think they-- uh?" Suddently remembering one is still supposed to be asleep, Dormon runs over to where the body should be. Coming upon the waking human/shifter, he puts his rapier to his neck. "Don't move! Who are you and why do you attack us? ...And why are you in disguise?"

PlotMonster

First Post
Watching the scene unfold once again, Gedward lets out a sigh of relief that this battle is finished. Hoping that things are safe now, he approaches Kort. "You look hurt, could I help you out?"

If Kort accepts Gedward's help, he says a prayer to the Host, asking them to help the halfling as he forgoes Remove Fear.

Kort gains 1d8+2 HP.

After looking into Kort's health, Gedward runs toward Jannis. "Sorry I could not help you fully earlier. I'm glad to see you moving about, I was quite worried. Here, let me help you further."

Gedward places his hands on Jannis, offering a prayer to Aureon, asking the deity to protect this messenger while he sacrifices his chance to comprehend languages.

Jannis gains 1d8+2.

After making sure that Jannis is capable of standing on his own, Gedward checks his other companions.

P0L

Explorer
Kort turns around, sword at the ready, realizing at the last moment that all of his foes are down. He props himself with his sword, holding to consiousness as the adrenaline rush wears off and he feels the numerours bleeding wounds.

ooc: rage stops, down to 5/24

The human cleric says a kind prayer, while touching his shoulder with a glowing palm. Kort's wounds start to heal, and the ache in his muscles diminishes.

- Thank you, friend. That was a worthy battle, how is our client??

taitzu52

First Post
(OOC-OK, so I'll charge! I thought I couldn't stow a weapon, and draw one on a charge in the same round. Hey, it was dramatic!)

"Well,", says Jeth'bar, "it would seem that somebody would like to see some Shifters take the fall for this. Or at least to make you angry, Jannis." He hides the irony in his voice, this assassination was almost a success, he thinks as he looks at his employers wound. He is squatting next to one of the bodies, searching it for any other identifying marks. He'll quickly rifle through it's belongings and take any evidence over to Jannis for his inspection, even the fake sideburn. He'll step over to Dormon to listen to what his hostage says.

(OOC- Search +5)

The Baron

First Post
The "shifter" slowly wakes and, seeing himself surrounding and weaponless, quickly raises his hands.

"Please, don't kill me. I have children. Please... I'll tell you what little I can. Just please, give me my life."

The prisoner stands up, his mud-covered body making him look all the more pathetic.

Jannis staggers to his feet, still barely able to move. The cleric's healing pushes the arrow out of his throat, but there is still a visible mark. He spends a few moments surveying the scene around him.

"We are still alive? It seems you were all good choices. This is good."

The attacker's bodies, now lifeless, are covered in blood- and mud-soaked studded leather armor, a layer of fur attached to the outside. They also each hold three daggers, but other than their weapons and armor, they have nothing. No marks, no messages.

Jannis winces in pain and coughs up a little blood. He takes a moment to scan over Jeth'bar's evidence.

"Yes, this is odd. I will have to meet with the Lady as soon as possible to discuss these things. How they knew I was coming, however, is beyond me. Perhaps it was just random... But..."

Jannis appears lost in thought.

"Get what information you can from the prisoner. Then let us be on our way. We should tie him up and drop him off with the town guard in Windshire, if possible."

The prisoner stutters from nervousness as he spits out what he knows.

"I'm j-j-just a soldier. A m-m-mercenary. I was just making some gold. The man... The man who hired us... he spoke little. B-B-But he was an incredible archer. A human. Fought in the L-L-Last War. He didn't tell us anything else, I swear. By the gods, please don't kill me. Let me go home to my f-f-family."

He falls to his knees and presses his hands togther, begging.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Dormon raises an eyebrow, "I see no reason to harm you," he puts his rapier away and tries to settle the nerves of the tattered man, "I do have some questions, though. Why were you in disguise? Do you know the name of the man who hired you? And how far is your family from here?"

I'm trying to be kind but stern. Diplomacy +5.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads