• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron - Why no regional feats?

Elodan

Adventurer
Hi,

I'm reading through the Eberron Campaign Setting and I notice it mentions that where your character is from is more related to your identity (for lack of a better term) than the race you belong to. Essentially, you're not just a dwarf, you're a Brelander.

My question is, if place of origin is fairly important to differentiate characters why are there no regional feats like in the FRCS (is it because the Realms already have them)? Regional feats seem like an excellent way to emphasize the importance of where your character is from.

Thanks.

Crothian

First Post
In Five Nations they have a lot of good role playing advice for characters from each of those nations. I'm a big fan of the "5 things every___ knows". I wish they should have done that for all the regions.

Regional feats would have been cool though.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
In my experience, the 3.0e Regional Feats were things that were too often either a waste of a feat, or brokenly overpowered. Not much middle ground. But it's been a while; memory is hazy. :)

Cheers, -- N

Mercule

Adventurer
I think the regional feats are more than made up for by having various other tricks that mean even more. I'm talking about things like the various alt.Druid feats, the Dragonmarks, Favored in House, etc. In other cases, you do get pretty much regional feats. I know there are some Aerenal and Valanar specific feats. They just aren't tagged as "regional".

Basically, it's not that the granularity is missing in Eberron. It's that it's even more granular and/or cut across a slightly different grain than you're used to.

LoneWolf23

First Post
I don't get the original poster's question.. The ECS' "Region of Origin" section in the Character Races chapter includes a list of appropriate Feats for each region, along with preferred Classes, Skills and Prestige Classes for folks from those regions. And it includes a good selection of each, so that no two Brelander characters need be the same...

Crothian

First Post
He wanted feats that are unique to a region or two instead of feats anyone can take but these people just might have it more often.

questing gm

First Post
I rather like to see those regional feats convert into some sort Traits system like in UA.
Besides, i think Eberron has already a nice segmentation of feats, what with the shifter and warforged feats and all...having regional feats would just make feat choices more complicated...

TwinBahamut

First Post
I am not a fan of the idea of regional feats, so I don't think Eberron is missing anything with their omission.

Besides, there is already a rough breakdown of classes by region (Karrnathi necromancers, Thranish clerics, Aundair mages, Eldeen druids, Lhazaar pirates, etc) so it is not like the different nations and regions need something like regional feats in order to keep citizens of different lands distinct from each other.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads