• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Eberron - Why no regional feats?

lukelightning

First Post
I think that the flavor text and descriptions of the various regions does everything that regional feats are meant to accomplish without being a hard and fast rule that may irk players. "I want to be a druid from Droaam, how come I can't take feat X?!?!?"

MarkB

Legend
Count me as another vote for "glad they're not there". Regional feats influence character choice too much - you end up with certain races/classes benefiting most from particular regional feats, and then practically every PC of that race or class ends up originating from that region to gain advantage of the mechanical benefit, regardless of whether that origin makes sense for that character or what origin the player would have chosen on purely flavour-based grounds.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
We could add Regional Traits with little to no pain.

Make a list of 10-20 traits for each region; you can take one if you want it, or you can not take any. What's left off the list will be as important as what's on it -- e.g. "You'll never see an Abrasive Cyran." -- "Karnath mages can be quite bad outside of Necromancy." (Spellgifted - Necromancy).

Might make NPC personality generation easier, too. :)

Cheers, -- N

questing gm

First Post
MarkB said:
Count me as another vote for "glad they're not there". Regional feats influence character choice too much - you end up with certain races/classes benefiting most from particular regional feats, and then practically every PC of that race or class ends up originating from that region to gain advantage of the mechanical benefit, regardless of whether that origin makes sense for that character or what origin the player would have chosen on purely flavour-based grounds.

Even if i had created a character based on flavor of his home region, i still wouldn't spend a feat just to label myself as 'from here...'

And i agree some of the regional feats in FR were either quite powerful or quite useless.

At least, we haven't gone into talking about starting equipment yet, that was just wrong.

We could add Regional Traits with little to no pain.

Make a list of 10-20 traits for each region; you can take one if you want it, or you can not take any. What's left off the list will be as important as what's on it -- e.g. "You'll never see an Abrasive Cyran." -- "Karnath mages can be quite bad outside of Necromancy." (Spellgifted - Necromancy).

Might make NPC personality generation easier, too.

Cheers, -- N

That was what i was thinking.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads