D&D 5E Ebondeath Stat Block

I'm putting together a stat block for Ebondeath and would like your input. Not the measly CR7 ghost presented in Divine Contention, but a real full powered ancient dracolich. Adding the dracolich template to an Ancient Black Dragon is... ok, but I want more. What would you add or change to the Ancient Black Dragon stat block with the dracolich template added?

For reference, the template adds; resist necrotic damage, poison immunity, condition immunities of charmed, frightened, paralyzed, & poisoned. and Magic Resistance.

That just seems uninspiring to me for a creature as legendary as Ebondeath.

What about some warlock class abilities like Mystic Arcanum (once per day spells of various levels)? What about Searing Vengeance, or Armor of Hexes? Maybe some invocations?

Or what about some of the demilich powers like; Antilife or Vile Curse? Or something new like...?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
IIRC, he lost his body somewhere. Instead, have you considered the CR 17 Ghost Dragon from Fizbans?

I would start with that, then throw on the Shadow Dragon Template ( Yes I know that technically doesn't work, we can break the rules!), and at that point, the Demilich has an appropriate CR for pilfering Legendary actions. So it should square off nicely.

IIRC, he lost his body somewhere. Instead, have you considered the CR 17 Ghost Dragon from Fizbans?
In my campaign he has regained physical form, like a demilich, but when his hysical form is killed he becomes a ghost. No, don't have Fizban's so will look into that. Thanks!
I would start with that, then throw on the Shadow Dragon Template ( Yes I know that technically doesn't work, we can break the rules!), and at that point, the Demilich has an appropriate CR for pilfering Legendary actions. So it should square off nicely.
Rules are for Lawyers! Sounds like really good potential, will see what it looks like.
Custom right up. Combine ancient black dragon with dracolich, buff it add spellcasting.
That's what I'm trying to do. I did add the dracolich template to the ancient black dragon and it's not interesting enough. What spells and powers should be added? What about Searing Vengence? But maybe reskin it to necrotic damage somewhat like the demilich's antilife power?

And wat do you think about the Legendary Actions of the Ancient dragon versus the Demilich? All of one, some of both?

Quickleaf

Legend
Ebondeath has some interesting history in FR. Based on that, and based on your campaign having Ebondeath regained its physical form, here are a few ideas:

• Art depicts Ebondeath's eyes/mouth as illuminated by fell purple light. Maybe give it the Shadow Dragon's breath weapon, and have its breath weapon leave a wall of purplish shadow energy in its wake.
  • It lairs in the Mere of Dead Men. Maybe a Lair Action to animate undead from the depths of the swamp – either as zombies, or as grasping hands that restrain or pull creatures under the water.
  • Some kind of temporary Dash + Incorporeal Form combo, probably a Legendary Action, wherein Ebondeath turns momentarily into an intangible purplish wraith-like form.
  • A phase state shift when the Ancient Black Dracolich is reduced to 0 HP, becoming a Ghost Dragon (Fizban's).
  • A shadow of moil that triggers either when reduced to half HP or as a Legendary Action, but can be overcome for a round if the dragon takes radiant damage.

@Quickleaf Excellent, thank you! I've read that FR Wiki entry many times and never thought of any of that except him turning into a ghost dragon if his physical form is destroyed. Let me put together something and post back a stat block to see what folks think.

What do you think about this?
Screen Shot 03-17-22 at 03.15 PM.PNG

Screen Shot 03-17-22 at 03.15 PM 001.PNG

Have not adjusted the CR yet. And not sure I like the lair action Grasping Tide, but perhaps. And I still need to work up the Incorporeal stat block.

dave2008

Legend
I'm putting together a stat block for Ebondeath and would like your input. Not the measly CR7 ghost presented in Divine Contention, but a real full powered ancient dracolich. Adding the dracolich template to an Ancient Black Dragon is... ok, but I want more. What would you add or change to the Ancient Black Dragon stat block with the dracolich template added?

For reference, the template adds; resist necrotic damage, poison immunity, condition immunities of charmed, frightened, paralyzed, & poisoned. and Magic Resistance.

That just seems uninspiring to me for a creature as legendary as Ebondeath.

What about some warlock class abilities like Mystic Arcanum (once per day spells of various levels)? What about Searing Vengeance, or Armor of Hexes? Maybe some invocations?

Or what about some of the demilich powers like; Antilife or Vile Curse? Or something new like...?
Not sure this is helpful, but here is my version of a revised dracolich:

Dragotha
Dracolich template

But my take is a bit different. I basically see lichdom as a curse. A dragon doesn't get stronger by being a lich, at least not initially.

But my take is a bit different. I basically see lichdom as a curse. A dragon doesn't get stronger by being a lich, at least not initially.
Thanks, appreciate it and will take a look. But Ebondeath isn't just a dragon, and he's been 'special' for what, a thousand years? Lots of time for him to be as powerful as any campaign needs :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases