D&D 5E EB's ToEE and RttToEE Campaign - IC

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Zanword looks at Rana for the moment as her vision comes true.
"Didn't go as planned!" he shouts as he passes by the wagons. Keeping their back safe has drawbacks as he is too far from the gnolls to attack. He stands where Hexiros did heartbeats before, blocking the way to women and children coward commoners! That's it! His thoughts run on autopilot as adrenalin surges.

OOC:
Move: L10
Action: Dodge

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
20zcwso.jpg

Emmyr makes sure to set up Lady Rebekah’s bedroll (well, his bedroll for her) on the far side of the fire downwind from Templeton. He took his place in the wagon, getting as comfortable as he could. In the morning he packed up Rebekah’s things while she ate the breakfast porridge. He found a few berries for her to make it palatable, along with a bit of honey he had gotten in town.

Emmyr wasn’t too happy riding in the second wagon, leaving Lady Rebekah up in the first with only that slip of a half-elf Gwylla and two piss-wet teamsters to protect her, but he settled up, keeping an eye on Lady Rebekah over the contents of the cart and cursing himself for not packing a crossbow. He kept his handaxes out, though, perched in reach on a crate, his swords cross-strapped to his back. His chainmail was purposefully blackened so as not to reflect light.

The day went slowly, the monotony broken only by the stops to scout ahead. They were nearly to their destination when the attack came.

“Cover!” Emmyr yelled as the hail of arrows came. He ducked behind the contents of the wagon, trying to seek a way off and over to Lady Rebekah. He was, after all, being paid to protect her. By the time the wagon pulled over, Rebekah and Gwylla were seated in the dust of the road, their team run off.

And the hideous barking, laughing, and howling begins.

“Oh, bloody hells. Gnolls,” Emmyr muttered. “It had t’ be gnolls…”

“Milady, are ye alright?” Emmyr asked. He moved to help her up, but she had already done so. And then she...cast a spell!

With a smile at Emmyr, "Master Anvilforge," Rebekah nodded to the gnolls. "Could you be a dear and take care of that rabble."

Emmyr stared at her. She was a spellchucker? Moradin’s big brass balls, how had he not known that!

“Ehm...aye, milady,” Emmyr said, feeling confidence flow back into him -- not that he was ever really unconfident. “But only if ye get yuirself under some bluidy cover!” He pointed to the wagon before spinning around to face the gnolls.

Emmyr rushed forward after Hexeiros, seeing the dragon-man cleave his polearm into one of the gnolls. With a roar of challenge, Emmyr hurled both of his handaxes at the injured gnoll and then drew his swords.

[sblock=Emmyr’s Rolls & Actions]
Move: O9
Action: Handaxe attack advantage and damage on S8: 2D20.HIGH(1)+5 = [2, 8]+5 = 13
1D6+3 = [5]+3 = 8

Bardic Inspiration: 1D6 = [6] = 6
Total 19 to hit, 8 damage
Bonus Action: Handaxe attack advantage and damage on S8: 2D20.HIGH(1)+5 = [17, 20]+5 = 25
1D6+3 = [5]+3 = 8

Critical hit extra damage: 1D6 = [5] = 5
Critical damage = 13
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:
[/sblock]

[sblock=Mini Stats]
Initiative: +1
Perception: 10
Speed: 25
AC: 16
HP: 13/13 HD: 1/1d10
[/sblock]

[sblock=Party]
Lady Rebekah - half elf bard charlatan noble
Gwylla - half elf wizard
Hexeiros - dragonborn fighter
Rana - feylock
Zanword - human fighter pirate
Aridhe - human moon druid
Templeton - human rogue ratcatcher
[/sblock]

[sblock=Enemies]
S8 - Fairie Fire
W9 - Fairie Fire
T10 - Fairie Fire
T13 - Entangled
[/sblock]

hero4hire

Explorer
Last Night
"I think it best, friend." Hexiros uses the term deliberately, and looks Templeton in the eyes when he says it. He's certain the man hasn't had a lot of friends in his life, but he needs him to know that he's got one now, regardless of his odoriferous shortcomings. "What say you and I take the first watch?"
Templeton flashed a grin that was reminiscent of a toothy jack-o-lantern. He sat and began to stare at the fire while sipping reverently on the brandy that had been passed around camp. Soon his gaze shifted from the fire to the Giant Frog that sat nearby. At first, he stared almost hypnotically at the amphibian but soon his visage shifted to something more...sinister. A look of avarice formed on his face. No, it was not avarice, it was hunger. It was the look a man got when he saw a woman he wanted to bed or a savory piece of mutton. A pop from the firewood started Templeton from his reverie and he glanced about with a sheepish half-smile. "Bit o' a chill in the air tonight!" he exclaimed as he hurriedly threw another piece of kindling onto the campfire.

Today

Templeton scrambled on all fours towards the copse of foliage in hopes to obsufucate himself. He found himself in the vegetation in a crouching position, poised to pounce upon one of the Bandits.

OOC:
Move to P-14
Use Action to Hide Check 13

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Aridha stares at the oncoming horde, fear stealing into her despite her stubbornness. Canine humanoids had that effect on her...especially when there were so many!

It will nae end like this, she thought to herself fiercely. An I won't hang back watchin' like some baby!

She scrambled towards the front of the wagon and hunkered in the bushes there, peering out at the gnolls in Rana's magic vines mud. They were too far to hit just yet, but she could be ready for them when they got closer.

With whispered words, Aridha summoned a writhing ball of tiny flames all whirling around a point above her palm. She held that fast, ready to hurl it at the first gnoll to get close enough!

(Move to J18; ready action to cast Produce Flame on first gnoll to get within 30' of Aridha.)
Produce Flame: 1D20+5 = [8]+5 = 13
1D6 = [4] = 4

Last edited by a moderator:

EarlyBird

Explorer
There is the slightest of pauses as the dying howl of the largest creature trails off to a whisper. The large furry body crashing to the ground handaxes stuck deep in its chest. One of the now glowing hyena-men scrambles away in fear, finding its courage among the trees. And a second thinks better of taking on the huge blue dragonman and his dwarven companion. It motions towards a trio of the others and leads them off towards Javin's cart and hopefully easier prey.

The magical mudpit created by Rana slows down some of the advancing gnolls, but one on the edge manages to avoid most of the muck. As it advances it sniffs the air, and Templeton curses under his breath. The beast seems just about to find the rogue when it turns to see Zanword out in the open and turns and run towards the half-elf. Templeton wastes no time taking the opportunity of the beasts turned back to swing. The dagger bites deep but doesn't slow down the charging dog.

Although to Templeton's chagrin he is no longer hidden and two gnolls with nets stalk menacingly towards him. "Would o' smelled me anyway," he thinks grinning.

Aridha sees the gnoll wounded by Templeton bearing down on Zanword, and throws her ball of fire at it. As the light and heat arc over the head of the horses, they both whine and paw at the air. The sound turns the creatures head for but a moment, it is although just enough time for it to raise its shield and block the blow.

Then the clash of steel and the grunts and curses of men and beasts in close combat fills the air. Zanword avoids a well aimed attack, had he not been watchful he may very well have had a spear in his gut. Emmyr crosses both his swords and catches the haft of a spear, a smile on the dwarf's features as he thinks of the perfect counter strike. And Hexiros manages to avoid a few tentative thrusts by his adversary, realizing to late they were merely diversions. Luckily his combat training kicks in by remote and he manages to get away with only a scratch across his arm.

As the two groups engage in melee the arrows from deeper inside the forest slow down with only a few aimed at the two half-elven women standing in the road. Some are way over shot and those that aren't fall short along the road.

Gnollsattack.jpg

[sblock=Map]
kings road rd2.jpg[/sblock]

[sblock=Combat]
Emmyr O9
AC:16, HP:13, sword&sword
Hexrios L10
AC:16, HP:9, halberd
Rebekah H10
AC:13, HP:10, NONE,
Templeton P14
AC:16, HP:10, dagger, cover (hidden? no)
Gwylla G11
AC:15, HP:8, NONE, mage armor (expires in 8 hours)
Rana I12
AC:15, HP:7, cane, COVER
pack frog I13
AC:10, HP:11, tongue, TOTAL COVER
Zanword L10
AC:17, HP:12, cutlass&shield
Aridha J18
AC:17, HP:10, cutlass&shield, cover

Gnoll Saves: STR(+2), DEX(+1), CON(+0), INT(-1), WIS(+0), CHA(-2)
range atk: +1, 1d8+1

Gnoll P4 AC:13, HP:14, spear, net
Gnoll O3 AC:15, HP:19, spear, shield
Gnoll N4 AC:15, HP:21, spear, shield
Gnoll M2 AC:15, HP:22, spear, shield - faerie fired
Gnoll S8 AC:15, HP:27, spear, shield "He's dead Jim."
Gnoll Y7 AC:17, HP:20, spear, shield, cover - faerie fired
Gnoll R10 AC:17, HP:22, spear, shield, cover - faerie fired
Gnoll Q11 AC:17, HP:19, spear, shield, cover
Gnoll P10 AC:15, HP:22, spear, shield
Gnoll M11 AC:15, HP:12, spear, shield - wounded(shown by red dot)
Gnoll P12 AC:13, HP:16, spear, net
Gnoll Q13 AC:13, HP:13, spear, net

NOTES:
RD2:
1d20+0 = 6 Perception vs Templeton
1d20+2 x3 = 17, 8, 16 Hit on Hexiros for 3 dmg
1d20+2 = 16 disadvantage vs Zanword
1d20+5 = 8,adv. 1d20+5 = 17 AoO by Templeton, hit for
10 dmg
1d20+2 = 19 Str vs restrained DC13

So I find myself in a bit of a conundrum when it came to Templeton "ready to pounce" - Since he took a Dash action to get to the trees I knew he didn't have it as a ready action. But he would want to attack at the greatest opportunity, so I took and used his Secret Rolls and then afterward thought, oh no he will not be hidden anymore. Would his player want that? Should I take all that back? - And then it hit me... Templeton smells and these are dog like creatures. And the character is one that wants to be hidden but has a natural odor that doesn't help when he is hiding. An intentional drawback? Well even if it isn't I must reward it all the same.

So Templeton figured he wasn't going to stay hidden long as they could smell him, so he went for it. In game mechanics normally in combat your opponents wouldn't get a Perception check to find you while hidden unless they wanted to actively search. So I'm guessing a passive check normally. But do to Templeton's odor I allowed for a Perception check that it would not normally be allowed. And this will be the case from now on for Perception checks vs Templeton's hiding (even after a long bath - a smell lingers it is just different)

And now a reward for creativity: Templeton gains 1 Inspiration point. CONGRATS

Little white dot means difficult terrain (mostly forest) and provides cover, also moving through any of the cart space is difficult terrain. Aridha could move straight to M14 at the cost of 40' of movement. Saying she dove under the cart and came up on the other side. When in the cart space please let me know if you are under it or on top.

Red dot means wounded
gold outline = faerie fire

cover = +2 to AC and DEX saves
COVER = +5 to AC and DEX saves
TOTAL COVER = cannot be target with attack, may be caught in AoE[/sblock]

hero4hire

Explorer
Templeton swore again...he had misjudged not only the distance he put himself between him and his companions but also the olfactory prowess of the Hyena-Men. He freed his slim blade from its sheath and flicked it across the Furry Bandit's chest. Drawing line of blood with an all-to-shallow wound.
OOC:
Apologies, I actually miscounted and did not factor the last square cost 10' of movement. I was hoping to get an Opportunity with Sneak attack, but I believe it takes an Action to make a Hide check and he had none due to Dash. So I am not sure I am owed the Inspiration.

Bleh. I will have to count and plan better next time.

Action: Rapier attack roll vs Gnoll Q13: 1D20+5 = [19]+5 = 24

Damage: Rapier damage roll vs Gnoll Q13: 1D8+3 = [1]+3 = 4

Last edited:

River Song

Explorer
Lady Rebekah with he hands calmly clasped behind her, smiled indulgently at Emmyr. The boy was having fun playing with some new friends. As she watched, four of the grotesque creatures broke to attack the wagon where Master Javin was no doubt cowering and she found herself ever so slightly miffed that she would have to save him.

With a glance at the leading gnoll she started to whisper, "Are you dogs or cats?" she subtly laced the words with magic and the gnoll saw all its insecurities played out. "The others think you weak! Nothing but food for the pack!"

Blood poured out of its ears as the psychic tendrils dug deep and the gnoll nearly collapsed. Though heavily wounded it managed to struggle on.

Rebekah smiled in self-satisfaction, "Very good Master Anvilforge, most excellent work. I expect lunch to be served once this riff-raff is dealt with."

Once again, her stoic demeanour and patronising contempt for their foes inspired Emmyr to strive for greatness.

[sblock=action]

Cast Dissonant Whispers on Gnoll M2. Rolled 17 damage, it failed save on a 9.
Bonus action: Inspire Emmyr.
then casually saunter to E10.

[/sblock]

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
Hexiros swings wildly and misses the gnoll hiding in the brush.

OOC: halberd vs. gnoll at R10, with advantage: 1D20+5 = [5]+5 = 10
1D20+5 = [6]+5 = 11

Oh, Coyotecode... why do you do these things to me?

Code:
[B]AC:[/B] 16; [B]HP:[/B] [COLOR=#FF000]9[/COLOR]/12
[B]Initiative:[/B] -1
[B]Saves:[/B] STR +5, CON +4
[B]Passive Perception:[/B] 11
[B]Languages:[/B] Common, Draconian
[B]Current XP:[/B] 100
[B]Level:[/B] 1

[B]Skills:[/B] Animal Handling +3, Athletics +5, Intimidation +4, Survival +3
[B]Stats:[/B] Str 17 (+3), Dex 8 (-1), Con 14 (+2), Int 10 (+0), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 14 (+2)

-[B]Inspiration[/B]? [ ] Yes, [[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]] No
-[B]Second Wind[/B]? [[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]] Available, [ ] Used
-[B]Breath Weapon[/B]? [[COLOR=#FF0000]X[/COLOR]] Available, [ ]Used

EarlyBird

Explorer
Under the psychic strain and whispered words the creature drops its weapons and throws both of its hands over his ears.

Groaning and struggling as it finds no help to stop the arcane voices. It howls long and in pain, before running off north through the forest.

[sblock=OOC]
Effectively running away and by the time he regains his sense the fight will probably be over.

kings road rd2.jpg[/sblock]

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Old Rana grinned, sweating from the exertion of her casting: the mud hadn’t stopped them... But they *had* slowed, and they had certainly bunched up as they struggled to wade across, hadn’t they?

She changed her mantra to “Mud and water; eggs and hope; wings twitter, hunger stokes; Mud and Water; eggs and hope-“

As if in response, tiny, tiny insects rose from the patch of mud behind them, newborn on a myriad of gossamer wings. Silent and deadly, they spread from the mud like a near-invisible cloud of silver, finding their way through matted fur and exposed ears -- any crack that would lead them to flesh.

And then they bit.

And drank deep.

The mighty gnolls hardly noticed... until the one closest to their birthplace dropped to the ground and started convulsing like live fish on a griddle, his eyes already glazed over with visions of horror only he could see!

Using the distraction of its cries, Old Rana pushed up from her crouch, cane still stuck in the ground to maintain the flow of fey powers to her lovelies: “Javin!” she creaked. “Javin Mertall! Stop panicking and crash your cart round!” Gesturing: that way forward, round back the rear! “Come round to us, child, the warrior’ll defend us!”

OOC: This assumes he can crash the cart through the brush and round back to them on the western side. If clearly impossible, please suggest he cut a horse loose and they both ride it round back to them instead, he and his driver.

[sblock=Actions]Sleep spell centered on ST-12,13 (the top of the mud square). I think that gets all 4 gnolls there without hitting any of her allies, but adjust as needed).

Patient 0: 5D8 = [4, 3, 6, 5, 4] = 22 HPs affected Was hoping to get two but = Q13 is now 'asleep'![/sblock]

Remove ads