Edge of Space [WEG Star Wars]

possum

First Post
"There's not going to be a next time," Devan says as the opposing brawlers leave. He goes for his glass of brandy on the table only to frown as he finds that it had been knocked over in the fight. "Oh well..." he says as the comm from ZED comes in. "Time to go, then." he agrees with Serrah.

Insight

Adventurer
"Off we go, then," Nam Jo says, holstering his blaster. "Where are we docked again?"

Before anyone can answer, the devaronian smuggler is out of the cantina and heading towards the spaceport.

d2OKC

Explorer
"The Star is currently docked on landing platform 573A, Master Jo. Mistress Quin and I have all systems ready for your arrival."

Novak's Landing was a huge spaceport. It was home to thousands of species from tens of thousands of systems all across the galaxy. Everywhere you looked, you could see people of all shapes and sizes and colors.

Just on the short way back to the landing platform, the foursome of Nam Jo, Devan Pearce, Serrah, and Stegg Lennik encountered merchants and peddlers. Beggers and hitchhikers. Nobles and soldiers. Humans, Rodians, Ithorians, Niktos, Iotrans, Ishi Tib, Trandoshans, and even a Hutt followed closely by a trendy and overprotective entourage.

It truly was a melting pot of culture.

Their platform was located on a large tower called the Blackspire, which was home to dozens of freighters who frequented the spaceport. A lift took spacers from the ground to their respective berth, and was operated by a less-than-enthusiastic young human named Neth, who had been working it as long as Nam had been bringing the Star to the Blackspire. He nodded to the four as they entered and silently guided them up to their destination.

When they arrived at the top, there was the Nautolan Star. A stock Ghtroc 720 light freighter, the Star was little to behold. It was economical and trustworthy, but that was about as far as the praise for the ship could really go. The Ghtroc freighters were popular because of their complete mediocrity and ubiquity.

The boarding ramp for the ship was lowered, and the medical droid ZED stood at the foot of it, awaiting his crewmembers. Perched on top of a crate nearby was the Squib scavenger Quin, looking somber and frustrated.

The reason for her mood was the third person waiting for their arrival.

The Advozse Maeko Blite stood with them, arms crossed impatiently. His foot tapped the ground, like he'd been there far longer than he'd expected to and had somewhere urgent to get to.

Blite was Oro Rend's second-in-command, and a well-known hardcase. He wasn't unreasonable, as long as he was able to keep shipments running on time. He'd never come down on Nam Jo while the Devaronian had been under Rend's employment, so his appearance here was disconcerting.

As Blite saw Nam and his crew exiting the lift, he absent-mindedly ran a hand along the horn on the top of his head and approached them briskly.

"Finally, you're here, Jo. I've got an important assignment for you."

Blite pulled out his datapad, and inserted a datacard into the slot on the side, and began typing something onto it.

"Mr. Rend has something he needs you to deliver, as soon as you've finished your business with Icaron."

He pulled the datacard back out and handed it to the droid without even looking its direction.

"The coordinates on that datacard will lead you to a planet known as Tethla. It's a small world, farther along Rimma, that is mostly known because it is freezing cold, and has several scientific research stations located on it's northern pole. There is a man there you are to seek out, who will give you some very important cargo to transport back here to Thessp, and bringly directly to Mr. Rend."

Blite slid the datapad back into a pocket inside his jacket and crossed his arms across his chest.

"This is an extremely important job for Mr. Rend. It is not particularly time-sensitive, though it needs to be done as soon as your prior schedule allows it."

The Advozse began walking away from the ship, towards the lift.

"I don't need to tell you how important it is to keep the boss happy, do I, Jo? Also, please try and keep a bit lower profile. It doesn't look good for anybody for you to be picking fights with random street thugs. Even if you win."

With that, Blite entered the lift and was gone. For a moment, no one spoke. Eventually, it was the Squib, Quin, that broke the silence, in her normal, obnoxiously cheerful way.

"So, we're headed to Starforge to meet up with Icaron now, right boss?"

Thanee

First Post
Serrah

“Nice to meet you, too, Mister Blight...” Serrah says, when he was in the elevator already, clearly not meant for him.

“Sounds like Hoth all over again. But yeah, first things first, I guess. So, let's get this started before the authorities arrive.”

Insight

Adventurer
"So, we're headed to Starforge to meet up with Icaron now, right boss?"

"That would seem to be the most pressing matter before us," the freighter captain replies. He ascends the gangplank. "Starforge, then that frozen planet... whatever it was called."

Nam Jo takes the circuitous route through the innards of the Nautolan Star before finding the corridor to the cockpit. He mutters something inaudible to himself before strapping into the captain's chair.

Flicking a few switches, Nam Jo begins the computations to jump to hyperspace. As that happens, once everyone is aboard, the devaronian fires up the sublight engines and proceeds out of spacedock.

"Almost forgot," Nam says. He presses the com button. "Spaceport Control... err, Thessp Control, this is the Nautolan Star. Requesting permission to depart from Platform 573A. Please acknowledge."

possum

First Post
Devan remains silent for the majority of the conversation with Blite and gets to work on the ship while waiting to get the permission to lift off. He takes a quick look at the engines, already shivering. "Force-damned ice planets..." he mutters.

d2OKC

Explorer
"Permission granted, Nautolan Star. And, Mr. Rend says if he were you, he'd get out of here as quick as possible. Apparently, there are Imperials looking for you, and you better believe they'll be looking for you before you jump."

It was not uncommon for the space traffic controllers to pass along these friendly warnings to employees of the more powerful crime lords on Thessp; and, since Oro Rend was as powerful as they come, they were most common for his workers. It was never a good sign when they came, through, as it meant the Vigilant - Governer Tarle Andross's Imperial-class Star Destroyer - was on the prowl.

A few seconds later, Stegg Linnek confirmed this.

"Andross is coming our way, you guys. If we're going to get out of here, we need to do it quick."

"According to the Star," the droid ZED interceded, "it will take one minute and thirty-seven seconds to calculate the jump to lightspeed. If the Vigilant knows we're here, it will take them only one minute and fifteen seconds to reach us. Our recommendation - apologies, the Star's recommendation - is that we allow them to reach us and explain our innocence in the matter of the beaten Twi'lek. The odds of the ship surviving a twenty-two second encounter with an Imperial Star Destroyer are approximately seven hundred and sixty-three to one. Of course, we now only have one minute and five seconds."

Insight

Adventurer
"According to the Star," the droid ZED interceded, "it will take one minute and thirty-seven seconds to calculate the jump to lightspeed. If the Vigilant knows we're here, it will take them only one minute and fifteen seconds to reach us. Our recommendation - apologies, the Star's recommendation - is that we allow them to reach us and explain our innocence in the matter of the beaten Twi'lek. The odds of the ship surviving a twenty-two second encounter with an Imperial Star Destroyer are approximately seven hundred and sixty-three to one. Of course, we now only have one minute and five seconds."

"I don't care about the odds," Nam replies. "Except in pazzak." The devaronian flips some switches. "Deploy forward shields. Engage photon torpedoes. Let's show these imps that we don't back down."

Nam moves the Nautolan Star away from the imperial forces, just to be on the safe side.

possum

First Post
"I got the shields," Devan says as he jogs into the bridge of the ship. He races to the station and quickly begins to work, warming up the shields and aligning them. Unfortunately, he's a little too drunk from his time off at the cantina to be of any real use.

Last edited:

d2OKC

Explorer
"I uh... I'll go get the escape pods prepped then, shall I?" Quin responded to Nam Jo's decision. "Then I'll head to engineering and be on-call there."

"And I shall go set myself up in the starboard cargo bay, in case of injuries not having to do with us being destroyed by their turbolasters." The droid dead-panned. "Master Lennik, would you mind helping me?"

"Sure thing, ZED. Let me know if you need me in the cockpit, Nam."

As the crew scurried to their places, the silhouette of the Vigilant grew larger and larger on the scanners as it moved closer and closer to the Nautolan Star. A muted claxon sounded in the cockpit - the Star's passive-aggressive way of letting the crew know it disapproved of this course of action.

Suddenly, a small light began to flicker on the console in front of Nam Jo. A communication was coming across.

"That would be the Vigilant, Captain Jo. I believe they are hailing us to try and talk this matter over."

Remove ads