D&D 3E/3.5 Edition Experience - Did/Do you Play 3rd Edtion D&D? How Was/Is it?

How Did/Do You Feel About 3E/3.5E D&D?

• I'm playing it right now; I'll have to let you know later.

Votes: 0 0.0%

HammerMan

Legend
The internet, but also the objective of having a player-centric edition in 3e was a real catastrophe. It took 2 editions to put the reigns firmly in the DM's hands where they belong (by going through a "referee" first approach in 4e), and even now, we still have players in 5e coming to tables or forums with a "but the rules say ... so my DM is a bad DM"... sigh
I agree there is a saying
"You go to war with the army ready for the last war" or something like that... each edition seems to be trying to undo things from the one before, and in 3e case they wanted MORE player agency for good or ill...

"You go to war with army to face the enemy you anticipated, not the one you actually are fighting."

It got updated a couple decades back after the first sandbox. US Army 89-97.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The internet, but also the objective of having a player-centric edition in 3e was a real catastrophe. It took 2 editions to put the reigns firmly in the DM's hands where they belong (by going through a "referee" first approach in 4e), and even now, we still have players in 5e coming to tables or forums with a "but the rules say ... so my DM is a bad DM"... sigh
I'm firmly in the camp that correct place for any table authority is in the overall social contract. The natural constraint of a DM's authority is whatever the players will tolerate.

I'm firmly in the camp that correct place for any table authority is in the overall social contract. The natural constraint of a DM's authority is whatever the players will tolerate.
That sounds like new-age player BS heresy. (j/k I'm old and that was one of the arguments against 3e)

Arilyn

Hero
The edition also brought in a lot of players who didn't care for all the fiddly rules that hampered creativity, like strict alignment rules, race and class restrictions, horribly ineffictive thieves and very killable and boring low level magic users.

3e, with all its flaws, was the first D&D game that I liked. Yes, it's now too fiddly for my tastes, but I never encountered an abundance of rules lawyering and power gaming in my circles. I'm not doubting they were out there, and I can see how 3e can be abused, but at last I could make my elf druid and halfling bard. At last my character's alignment could shift logically without losing exp. And rogues were fun and could actually do their job. 😁

The edition also brought in a lot of players who didn't care for all the fiddly rules that hampered creativity, like strict alignment rules, race and class restrictions, horribly ineffictive thieves and very killable and boring low level magic users.

3e, with all its flaws, was the first D&D game that I liked. Yes, it's now too fiddly for my tastes, but I never encountered an abundance of rules lawyering and power gaming in my circles. I'm not doubting they were out there, and I can see how 3e can be abused, but at last I could make my elf druid and halfling bard. At last my character's alignment could shift logically without losing exp. And rogues were fun and could actually do their job. 😁
And all of that was true. Except the rules lawyers... Cons were full of people you wanted to throttle by Thursday night.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
My memories of 3E itself are pretty vague (it felt like D&D and there was a computer character-builder), but so many good things for the hobby came out of the OGL that that's what I remember. We played a lot of Mutants & Masterminds, for instance.

Remove ads