• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Effects of being submerged in water

Gulla

Adventurer
What are the official (preferably only core books) effect on a PC being submerged in water (and where can I find the rules)?

I know the drowning-rules and swimming, but what about spellcasting, fighting (including ranged attacks), vision and spelleffects (fireball, lighting bolt etc)?
And what effects do Waterbreathing, Freedom of Movement and waterwalk have on this?

Håkon

Pinotage

Explorer
As hong suggested, the DMG is a good starting point. However, it doesn't nearly address all the issues. Basically, you either need to draw the rules from a variety of sources such as Seas of Blood or Seafarer's Handbook, or make them up as you go along.

In my aquatic campaign I allow Freedom of Movement to be like 'flying' underwater with no restrictions on any actions, except not allowing water breathing itself! :) Water Breathing allows you to cast spells with a verbal component on a successful spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell level, I believe), and each spell's effect is adjudicated on a spell by spell basis. With Water Breathing you require a swim check against the DC of the water to take an action during combat. The DMG sums up the combat requirements. Ranged weapons take -2 attack per 5 ft of water.

Vision is limited by visibility. If you don't have eye protection your 'normal' visibility is reduced by half. There are a whole host of other things you can add as well, like pressure effects, use of shields (can't unless you have FoM), spells with material components etc. I hope one of the WotC Enviromental Series books deals with this adequatly.

Hope that helps!

Pinotage

Gulla

Adventurer
Thanks.

Since I need it for a Con-module I basically will have to write a short paragraph on it :\ But having my own houserules and your suggestions should get me there. So thanks.

Håkon

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads