• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Egyptian Adventures!

Florin

First Post
Chosen of Set

Come on! What's with gnolls as the chosen of Set? Go for the Yuan-Ti!

I like the dwarves and elves as "peoples". I think it does a good job of making the setting Egyptian without making it Egypt. :) I would definently find the setting fun.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Re: Chosen of Set

Florin said:
Come on! What's with gnolls as the chosen of Set? Go for the Yuan-Ti!

Yeah Yuan-Ti is a better option for Set
Lizardfolk would fit the bill as well (crocodile-like of course)
Gnolls would align with Anubis (The Jackal headed god)

IMHO a Cat-like race is a must in an Egyptian setting - align to either Sekhmet or Bastit (and ruled by the Immortal Sphinx), which also suggest Lammusa as a common monster
Hathor had a cowshead which might alow Minotaur, and Bird races could honour Horus

You could easily through in kobolds and goblins too (like the ones in the Mummy Returns)
and Scorpion-men what about Scorpion-men?

You could include Orcs (and thus half-orcs) and call the Hyksos (historical Hyksos were invaders from the east but their exact ethnicity has never been established)

Elves as Peri is good, and their are various African 'Dwarfs' that could be adapted (check Nyambe for ideas), gnomes as small imp like Djinn is a great idea and halfling Ghul!

Onto the Setting
I had Kem 9Egypt setting) in a homebrew African setting I once created. In that setting the Kemite Civilisation had fallen (the deserts had expanded, the river gone dry) and only survived in the Geb Delta (now coastal marsh). The Pharoah had gone missing and the City (Qahira- Arab name for Cairo) was ruled by the Grand Vizier, however the people were waiting for the return of the Pharoah who would cause the River to flow again

Also read Wilbur Smiths Warlock (set in Ancient Egypt), the Ramses novels by Christian Jacq, the Bible by? (especially the bits about Abraham and Moses) and watch the Scorpion King:)

Anyway let us know how it goes

Danzilla

First Post
Lizardfolk would fit the bill as well (crocodile-like of course)

The Gatormen form Monsternomicon would make good Crocmen with some minor tinkering

And as for desert settings, picking stuff up from Al-Qadim is always a good idea...

-Ekimus-

First Post
my sugestion is about weapons during the bronze age, well weapons and armor. make them - to ac/to hit and armorcheck penalties, and make them weigh more, since it is the bronze age and those weapons are not nearly as good as medieval weaponary. i forget where i stole this idea from, but its from somewhere... :p

Ghostwind

First Post
You might also take a look at Egyptian Gods from Bastion Press. There are favored races of the deities there that include gnolls and yaun-ti along with some really good egyptian flavor prestige classes that may help you set up your adventure. There are also some deities covered that aren't in Deities and Demigods.

Jeph

Explorer
I will second those saying that ELVES, DWARVES, HALFLINGS, AND GNOMES IN EGYPT ARE A BAD IDEA!!! Instead, I'd comb Egyptian mythology (and that story Lovecraft wrote about Harry Houdini being abducted by egyptian cultists) for real races from egytpion mythology. And, being jewish, I happen to know that I'm NOT a DWARF!

I don't know if these dudes actually appeared in Egyption Mythology, but you might want to try a cat-race, as the egyptioans were wild and crazy over furry felines, and a jackel-headed race (use gnolls as a base), a Chosen of Ra (or Re-Motep, or whoever that jackel ubergod was).

Jeph

Explorer
Oh, and you'll want to focus on divine magic and necromancy. From what I know of Egyptology, they were pretty god-happy, and most of their sorcerous stuff dealt with dead things. You'll probably want to make Mummy a template to make it more flexable, Mummies are a requirement for any egyptian setting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads